Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my kids and I went to a Cardinals baseball game with our church. Well when we got home we found that our cat had two kittens. Sadly they were born a few weeks early and one of them was already dead

The other cat is a real fighter and is still alive. The momma cat won’t do anything at all with this kitten. So needless to say at 1.30 this evening we ran to Wal-Mart and bought some kitty milk and a dropper and the kitten ate some of it. We now have the kitten on heating pad because she was very cold.

My question is other then feeding it every two hours what should I be doing to help this kitten.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Fostering kittens is very difficult. It is good that it is taking formula. What it really needs the first 48 hrs though is energy-if you cannot get it to nurse on mom by holding mom down- then give glucose water (Homemade Ringers) instead. The formula for that is :
Homemade Ringer's solution
>
>Put in a Pyrex custard cup or microwave-safe dish, 1 Tsp.
>white corn syrup, 4 Tbsp. tap water, a few grains of sodium
>chloride (real table salt), a few grains of potassium chloride (salt
>substitute). Cover with Saran Wrap and boil.
>Let cool to body temp, covered.

If the kitten starts to slip in the first few days it is usually due to dehydration. You can get sterile ringers from your vet and inject a large bubble of it under the skin between the shoulder blades. This will sometimes be enough to get the kitten going again.

The kitten ideally should be nursing on mom though- so if you can get it strong enough to suckle- then hold mom down and put the kitten on her- it may take two people if mom is really against it. Good luck.

BTW how do you know they are preemies?

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
The walmart milk is not intended to be used as a replacement; says so right on the can. Get some liquid KMR from the feed store, pet store or vet.

If they were a few weeks early, I highly doubt they'd even have been born alive; cats are only pregnant for 63-68 days... more likely you just have an inexperienced mama, particularly if the kitten has claws and is fully furred. He/She must be kept warm, fed roughly every two hours (kitten will cry f it needs food before then) and needs to have it's bottom rubbed to be able to eliminate waste. Moisten a washcloth or cotten ball and rub in circles until the kitten goes; beware, for such little guys they make quite the mess.

I agree with trying to convince mama to nurse the little one, even a little is better than none. Oh, and I've found tiny syringes (without the needle) to work better than bottles for feeding little ones like that.

Best of luck to you all. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help but the cat kitten died about an hour ago :(

He was a couple of weeks early born with little to know hair. The kind of milk we got said it was a milk replacement for orphaned kittens so I think it was the right stuff but I think he was just way to young

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
If he lived that long i would guess he could be as young as 6 maybe 7 days early TOPS (54-57 days gestation out of 60-63). Before that, they would have NO lung function. You did the best you could. You gave the effort. These things happen. Don't stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts