pregnat??? and weaning????

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by canadianmandy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

Hey!!!!
    When I got Precious back from the ppl who were watching her they made a comment that she may be pregnant. WEll she just had a baby ewe march 25. Its been a while since then. ANd she looks like a barrel with a head. Is it safe for her to have another baby so soon?? Also can I wean Harmony. like I said she was born March 25.
    HOw can I know for sure without taking her to a Vet if she is pregnant ... What are the signs...... lol..
    I was not expecting more babies. The ppl who had her maybe be pushing their flock. TO many accidents if you ask me. They had accidental winter babies. Then planned spring babies ... Then accidental summer babies... ANd now some fall babies.. is anyone thinking what Im thinking????

Harmony is all better. Full recovery from her liverfluke. she is now prancing around and more active. she runs up to great me with her mommy., She is so happy. It turns out most of the sheep where they were staying have liver fluke now..... :nono:

I will try and get some pictures of Precious's Barrelish belly.

2. redroving

redroving Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that she is pregnant just because of her size. It would seem too early to be showing that much if she only got pregnant in a month or two.
    Yes, wean the lamb. Some breeders wean at two months old, I wean at 3 months. Any longer and you might end up with mechanical mastitis (bruising of the milk bag from the lamb).

3. canadianmandy

They said something about her being do in two months if she was..... which would be september.

4. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Oh heck yes you can wean that baby she's four months you can safely wean at two, though I don't recomend it unless you have to. Look at the place where her hips and rib cage make a triangle if she is round and full on the left side she is probably pregnant, but not guaranteed. What breed is she? A year rounder or seasonal. It is possible for seasoners to produce two a year. My freind who has a ram she can run with her girls all year had suprise summer babies due to a cold snap in the spring that fooled them into thinking it was fall and they came back into season.

I would definatly avoid these people in the future, those poor ewes are going to start dropping still borns.

5. canadianmandy

TY SPROUT!

I was told she was a barbado/Katahdin.
    Here is a picture of her and her lamb taken in april.
    [​IMG]

I did what you said Sprout and yes she is round and full on her left side. I was told that if she bred it would have been right after she lambed. I clocked those dates into the mylamb website calender and it said if she was pregnant it would be the end of Aug very beginning of sept at the latest.

as to you question about them being seasonal or year rounder... Im very new to this. We were planning to do fall breeding.

Is it possible for a barbado pure bred male to be pure white??? we aquired a male barbado and the people we got him from said he was a pure barbado. he does have a couple small brown spots. I will have to take pics.

6. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I'm not very familiar with the hair sheep breeds but I have seen white lambs out of a brown father. I don't think the color is limited to only brown black badger in purebreeds (maybe your momma gave him the white?). Katahdins are year round breeders, meaning that they can come into season all year round, which is why it is very important to keep the males away from the females unless you want babies five months later. Most sheep can only breed during the fall when the days are shorter and the weather starts to cool. I would wean the baby now and give the momma her CD&T vaccine (once the baby is off) along with anything else you are at risk for in your region including selenium deficiency. She's not to far off for a fall baby.

Nice looking pic by the way.

7. Fergus

Fergus Member

I'm wondering the same thing about one of my cross-breads. She's part Hampshire, part Suffolk and part Finn. I hear that cross-breads are able to reproduce year-round.
    She had a lamb just over 5 month ago ... and she's looking just as wide as she did then.