Pregnant?????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by b3hummers, Mar 18, 2005.

1. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

Have a doe that was breed. Not sure if she is pregnant or not. When I pick her up to feel her stomach her heart is racing, and that's all I feel. When she is put in the cage with the buck, she attacks him. Any comments or ideas of how to figure it out??? :confused:

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Would she attack the buck before you bred her ?

3. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

The very first time she was put in she did attack him. The second time only after the buck tried to start. The last time I put here with him she "was out for blood" very aggresive.

4. Tiffann4k

I am not sure then, I have had does who were fine but then once pregnant and put back in with the buck she would try to attack...maybe someone with a little more experience than myself can help you, sorry

5. Tiffann4k

It sounds like she may be pregnant :) Good luck and keep us updated

6. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

NO BUNNIES YET! She is however (I think) starting to bed down. She does not look to have gotten any size to her even indicating she may have bunnies inside. I'm kinda new at this, she will be our first. If she is breed we should be finding out soon. We have tried another doe with the buck(A Californian). Are there any other ways to check? I would like to know what other things I should/could check.

7. Tiffann4k

I dont know how to check either, but what I do is on day 28 I put a nest box in and see what happens, usually by day 29-31 if they are pregnant they will start to make a nest. I put some hay in and watch her and if I see her pick up a big pile in her mouth then more than likely she is pregnant. Does your doe have a nest box with some hay ? What day is she on ?

I have not had a doe do this and not be pregant but I have however had a doe who didnt do it and had kits on day 39.

Good luck :)

8. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

She has a nest box with straw bedding. In one corner (the furthest away from the opening) you can tell where all her hair/fur is.(all in one spot) Not like in her other cage it was everywhere. According to my husband(he was the one who breed the two)she would be on day 30. She was put in the cage with the nesting box on Monday March 28th. A bit early but we wanted to make sure she was in there before anything happened.

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi B3 ,, :) Now I'm not trying to lecture ,, my kids say I get teachery ,, LOL

I try to breed a doe 2 times about 1 hour appart on 1 day ,, if I'm not sure if the deed was done :rolleyes: ,, I'll put the doe back in with the buck on day 14 ,, If shes in mean mode I'm hopeful for kits :D

I cannot get the hang of papalating (SP??)

if you have to remove a doe from her cage to clean ,, get a cat crate or something similar for temporary holding :) ,,, does are very territorial and even loving sisters / or mother/daughters ,, that stayed together for 6 months ,,
    once you've put in separate cages ,, most times you cannot put back together without fighting happening ,, pregnant or not and if theres a chance of being pregnant you don't want fighting that might cause miscarriages or Serious wounds :no: ,,,

Why did you move the doe to a different cage on day 28 ,, thats the day to put in a nestbox ,, but its normally reccomended not to move a doe that late in her pregnancy ,,
    if you have a maternity cage set up ,, next time I'd move her around day 20 1/2 to 2/3 of the way ,, not later on late in the pregnancy ,, thats just what I would do ,,

If Its day 30 and shes pulling fur ,, she should have babies any minuite ,,

:D

10. Tiffann4k

I agree with Tammy, if its day 30 and you have a nest and pulled fur your gonna get some kits soon :)

Tiffany