Pregnant Rabbit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scottdoyle, Nov 26, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

I have a flemish giant that is due to have her babies any day. Getting cold around here, just below freezing. What are the needs of the rabbit in this weather. I am giving her protection from wet and drafts but is that enough and will the babies survive in this cold?

2. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Bedding, lots and lots of bedding in the kindling area. You can also partially enclose the entire hutch with clear plastic IF there's no chance of overheating. Another good idea is if you don't have a kindling box, to put a piece of wood over the doorway between the inside and outside areas. That helps to prevent mama from dragging a nursing baby out. We used to have Flemish Giant/Chinchilla/Checkered Giant crosses and that's how we did it. If you can move her into a barn that might help also.

LisaBug

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

For momma I would give her some bedding to curl up in, if you are rationing her food you may want to give her a little extra, keep her water bottle from freezing, and she should be fine. Below freezing can be deadly weather for newborn kits though. They are tiny and hairless so in cold temps they can freeze or chill and die. You might check the rabbit forum for suggestions about how to keep the kits warm enough.

4. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I've brought mine inside before to kindle in a bathtub, but in the summer with temps too high. It might work for your case also, just don't let the bathroom get too warm. Put them back outside in a couple of days when the kits are starting to get a little fuzz on them.