Pregnant Pygmy? (kinda long) Help?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by caryatid, Aug 3, 2006.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I tried Google first, but decided I needed to come to the experts.
    (I'm a quiet regular here on HT, but first time poster on this section)

(note- I am planning on calling a vet, I just need to find one in my area that can come out soon. The one my neighbor uses is on vacation!)

A local woman needed to find homes for some of her "retired" pygmy goats since she is moving out of state. She said these does are around 8 years old, have done their time and need to spend their days as lawn mowers. So I adopted 2. She stressed (several times) that these gals should NOT be bred- that at their age it would be dangerous for them to try and have any more. She told me a story about another goat she had given to a friend for retirement that ended up getting bred...the goat died due to complications...

I get the does around June 15th. (Their names are Luci and Sienna)
    They had not been handled much by their previous owner, and are rather skittish. (Luci won't come near me and Sienna would eat a little out of my hand, but only if there was a short wooden wall between us.)

When I got them, they were about the same size- both look comically fat, well like pygmys... I noticed Sienna was looking a little bigger a few weeks ago, but didn't think much of it since we had also gotten heavy rain which turned the prarie green, so the does suddenly had a larger variety. (I did check for poisonious plants)

I went on vacation with the kids to visit family in Indiana for 2 weeks and just got home last night. My City-Boy husband couldn't join us, so he took care of the goats. One weekend he had to go out of town, so our neighbor fed them while he was gone. He calls up DH and informs him that we have one very pregnant goat.

When I went out to feed this morning, she was following me around, ate from my hand while I was sitting on the ground, and didn't freak when I was near her while she was eating. (Normally, I can't get close to her at all!).

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is there any other condition that can cause a goat to look pregnant? Compared to the picture on this website:
    http://kinne.net/pregdiag.htm Sienna looks like the pregnant one. I looked up bloat a while ago and she doesn't fit that description. She is normally active, moving around just fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

2. Is 8-9 too old for pregnany? Should I seek professional help?

3. She is shedding like mad. Is this normal??

4.Any advice??

(as I said in the beginning, I am going to call the vet....I'm just working on tracking one down right now. I'm going to run to the feed store in a few minutes and check their announcement board for business cards. We live in a small town, so not everyone is listed in the phone book. )

THANK YOU!!
    Dana

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Pygmy goats are known for looking pregnant when they really aren't. It's just the way they are shaped.

8 is not too old to be pregnant. I know people that have bred 12 year old goats. As long as they are in good condition it will not hurt them.

Shedding is normal in this heat. Pygmies have more hair than some breeds & shed for quite a bit longer than some goats.

Just watch her udder for fullness. When she gets a really big udder then you will know she is close. Try not to worry toomuch. Goats have been having babies for a long time. Most kid without any problems. I had Pygmies for 10 years & only had to pull kids once.

3. caryatid

Thank you thank you thank you. I feel better knowing that her age may not be an issue. (and about the shedding)

I think I may have to take some pictures. I checked out the website and it has pictures of a pregnant and non-pregnant pygmy side by side to show the difference because, as you said- they all seem to look pregnant. :)

Luci looks fat...Sienna looks "fat with a purpose". Her firm bulge is much higher up than on Luci. And she is about twice as wide.

I read it that gestation is about 150 days- is there any way of telling how far along she might be? (I"ll keep an eye on udders! Thanks!) How soon do they start showing? Can you see kid move, and if so, when does that happen? (I saw something that could have been movement, or gas! LOL) The only thing I"m certain of is it happened sometime before I got her! LOL (June 15)

Thank you for your patience!

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Our MALE pygmy goat looks preggers!!

5. caryatid

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I agree... My boy pygmies look pregnant too, lol... Though if you keep does, and know what they look like pregnant and not pregnant, you always know for that specific doe. With the registered does, they often look pregnant no matter what you do, hehe. Just a structural and standardized thing. I listened for heartbeats in both of my pregnant does this year, it's not hard to do. Get a 5.00 stethoscope and a way to restrain your goat nicely and listen to the righthand side of your doe. The stomachs during pregnancy are on the lefthand side, while the kids are carried on the righthand side. Movement on the righthand side may be kids. And 8 is not to old to be bred... Lots of people breed their goats till they just don't get pregnant any more, which can be 12 + years old. Retiring them at 8 isn't bad though, but I doubt that extra complications would arise just from being bred at that age, as long as the goat is in good condition. And this year I did notice that my doe kept her longer, thicker winter hair until after she kidded; Now she has a nice short thin summer hair, and her kids are 4 weeks old. About a week before she kidded I even shaved her shorter because I felt bad for her. But after she kidded, no more hair... So it COULD be a sign but I never saw that before, either. They generally start showing a month and a half before kidding... Though my doe that had quads this year looked very different (to me, at least) late in the 2nd month! And boy, was she ever WIDE, lol

7. caryatid

Ok, stupid question...

When you say "right hand side" do you mean my right if I am standing in front of the doe looking at her, or the right side if I am kneeling, holding her to listen for a heartbeat?

8. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Her right hand side. I've seen movement in my doe's stomach (8 weeks old), but on her left hand side. Looked like she had an alien inside her. :)

9. caryatid

aw man...that's the side I saw movement (her left). So I guess I didn't see a kid after all?

I may just have to post some pictures of her. Maybe someone can give me an opinion.

My neighbor is coming over with his stethescope this weekend.