Pregnant onion

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Spinner, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I was reading up on these because I have several of them. I just found out they are poisonous. I knew it was a house plant, not a garden onion, but I didn’t know it was poison. Also found out they are good for bee stings, removing splinters, and can be used for burns much the same as aloe vera.

I've read that they can be grown outdoors in warm areas, such as southern CA. I'm wondering if they would survive a winter here in zone 7/8. I might put one out next winter and find out.

Does anyone have any more interesting information about them?

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

My cats apparently are immune to the poison:) Course, they haven't eaten much either. I might try it on beestings next year, if I can't find any plantain.

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Spinner:I live in Southern Ca.I don't grow them but a neighbor does and they grow fine.But then again Everything grows really well here.It is about 85*degrees here today and with the exception of a couple of days last week the past couple of months have been in the 80-90's.We will probably get a few cold weeks in Jan.I would plant a few outside and if they do well plant more.Also check out www.plantdelights.com

4. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Spinner, I'm glad you reminded me, because I saw one growing in one of my flower beds this year that apparently survived being dumped out of a pot last year. I meant to dig it up, guess I'll go out and do that now! They look really nice when they get a bunch of them in a pot. I'm USDA 8b and I don't know if mine would survive or not, I don't want to take any chances, though.

Update--Just went out and pulled it up, and while the ends of the leaves felt kind of mushy, like frozen green onions would, I guess, the bulb was fine. We have had about 5 light freezes with lows of about 29 to 30 so far this winter, if that's of any help.