Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jersey heifer that we had AI'd June 12, 2020 she recently started ballooning out and is do In a little over 20 days. Her udder just started getting bigger as well and before she had zero udder and her teets were super short but now are getting longer. I posted her on a Facebook site people keep saying she must of aborted or I don't know my dare. We have nothing that could breed and trust me I know what date as I was seriously ill about to pass out and still made sure I took her in for it. Tell me I'm letting them stress me for nothing. Our vet confirmed her still pregnant a little over a month ago with zero issues. Feeding is the exact same way and same food.
t

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
You can usually feel the calf in her at late term just by holding your hand on her side. Many of mine you can see it moving about a few days before delivery. She looks pregnant to me for what it is worth...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can usually feel the calf in her at late term just by holding your hand on her side. Many of mine you can see it moving about a few days before delivery. She looks pregnant to me for what it is worth...
Thank you, my heart sunk when others were saying she doesn't look it. But she wasn't this size not long ago nor did she have any type of bag she was flat flat with tiny teets.

·
Registered
Milk cow. Chickens. Ducks. Beef cow. Gardening. From scratch, traditionally prepared cooking.
38 Posts
I have a Jersey heifer that we had AI'd June 12, 2020 she recently started ballooning out and is do In a little over 20 days. Her udder just started getting bigger as well and before she had zero udder and her teets were super short but now are getting longer. I posted her on a Facebook site people keep saying she must of aborted or I don't know my dare. We have nothing that could breed and trust me I know what date as I was seriously ill about to pass out and still made sure I took her in for it. Tell me I'm letting them stress me for nothing. Our vet confirmed her still pregnant a little over a month ago with zero issues. Feeding is the exact same way and same food. View attachment 94018 t View attachment 94019 View attachment 94020 View attachment 94021
This is our first year with our own jersey (my family had milk cows when I was a kid but I never had to care for them so that doesn’t count😜) she is 6 yo and was with a bull the month of Jun last year, confirmed pregnancy later in the summer and is due mid March, she isn’t bagging up yet either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She sure looks pregnant, but not bagging up yet.
Thank you :) they just totally have me losing my mind and my heart sunk as this is our first. As soon as it was getting in the teens she went into our horse barn for shelter and been there since.
This is our first year with our own jersey (my family had milk cows when I was a kid but I never had to care for them so that doesn’t count😜) she is 6 yo and was with a bull the month of Jun last year, confirmed pregnancy later in the summer and is due mid March, she isn’t bagging up yet either.
Ok people keep telling me she won't have it for a couple more months. I know when she is supposed to have it so it just freaks me out. Her bag filled out more and is now even on both sides.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
You say that your heifer is bagging up. That and the fact that she is barrel bellied indicates she is probably in the third stage.

Like G. Seddon put up, here is another pre-calving video:

Cattle video #1 How close is she? signs your cow is close to calving. - YouTube

The obvious first sign is a change in the udder, bagging up, etc. the thing that the other video didn't really cover was the changes in the vulva. In close up heifers/cows it will swell in size and become very flaccid. In the other video he talks about the loosening of the ligaments around the tail head. To me this is not as observable as the engorging of the vulva.

Your animal is in very good flesh, in fact she is probably a little fat. She will more than likely loose any excess weight after she freshens as she will put that fat into milk production, however, be aware of 'Fat Cow Syndrome' as she appears to be a tad over conditioned, watch for Ketosis after she calves.

Jerseys are prone to 'Milk Fever' upon calving. You could maybe give her a bottle (500 ml calcium gluconate, given subcutaneously) as a precautionary measure against it. If she cannot get up on her feet post-calving it could be a pinched nerve in her pelvis or milk fever. In the case of acute milk fever she may need calcium gluconate given intravenously.

Keep a weather eye on her when she is starting to calve.

When To Intervene When Calving First-Calf Heifers - YouTube

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,491 Posts
We had a Jersey cow and some work horses. We always took the horses to the big fair 100 miles away. But the cow was due to calf the week of the fair. So, we took her with us. She was far from a show cow. That calf had her looking bloated and her bag was huge. But to be at the fair, for a week, we had to enter her in open classes. Each day, "experts" predicted that she'd calve that night, "for sure". All week long, no calf. So we loaded up the horses, with the cow in the rear, headed home. Once we got home,I led her to the barn, closed the gate, drove up the road 100 yards and unloaded the horses to their pasture. By the time I got back to the barn, the calf was there. Seems she waited to get home.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Well she is so close to calving now. Due the 15th (I read if she's a heifer) or the 17th if she is a cow so I'll be on baby duty day and night.
Well?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately she refuses baby to nurse off her and baby isn't wanting to suckle so we have had to tube her all her colostrum (we different times of it withing 24 hours) we are milking mom so she has her milk but I am trying everything to get her to suckle. We have raised bottle babies from day 1 before (got them off a dairy farm) qnd never struggled this much. Going to try a lamb nipple this evening with some kayo syrup on the tip. We did throw together a stanchion last night so we could milk easier.
Jersey calves have the most beautiful eyes! Hope she's nursing well and that 'mom' is taking good care of her! Congratulations!
She has refused to allow her to nurse and now baby doesn't want to suck. We have had to tube her everything she's needed. It's just been crazy. We have been milking mom for baby at this point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts