Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat new to the goat world. i have had a few pet goats in the past but this one is all new to me. A friend called before Thanksgiving and said a goat had wondered to her house and wouldnt leave. She did not want the goat and the owner made several attempts to catch it without success. The owner told her the goat was pregnant with two babies and then abandoned the goat. This is where I come in. I caught the goat and have had it since. Her udders are filling up and I seem to be seeing her right side moving, but I do not know if and when she will have any babies. I have been researching and trying to find info and it seems that she should be around 115 -120 days along. Forgive me for my inexperience but what do I need to do next? She is in a 16 x 16 area right now. I have been cutting hedge for her to eat as she will not eat corn, goat feed, or sweet feed. Any help is appreciated. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I'm the resident expert on this topic.

Do this: lock her in a stall with plenty of food, fresh water and clean bedding. Keep her there for 5 months. If, at any time in that 5 month period, she delivers babies, she was definitely pregnant.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Heh, CJB. That cracked me up.

I've got a female Nubian who I swear his pregnant but her udder hasn't filled yet. Hasn't even started to grow. She's so big she looks like she may have eaten 3 other goats, and eats like she has to FEED those three other goats inside. But no udder swell yet. That's the only way I've ever been able to tell. Short of going outside and seeing new kids wandering around in the pasture.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm the resident expert on this topic.

Do this: lock her in a stall with plenty of food, fresh water and clean bedding. Keep her there for 5 months. If, at any time in that 5 month period, she delivers babies, she was definitely pregnant.

You're welcome.
Bawhhhaaa. :p Remembering........ and laughing......!!! :bow: to the HT pg doe expert.

MJHicks, you know, you could post a pic of her back side and get cjb's opinion.

Paul

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Heh, CJB. That cracked me up.

I've got a female Nubian who I swear his pregnant but her udder hasn't filled yet. Hasn't even started to grow. She's so big she looks like she may have eaten 3 other goats, and eats like she has to FEED those three other goats inside. But no udder swell yet. That's the only way I've ever been able to tell. Short of going outside and seeing new kids wandering around in the pasture.
My Gretta didn't get much of an udder at all until she kidded.

CJB...you left out the part where you have to keep checking on the goat every 2 hours ;)

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I need to speak with that goat owner who abandoned the goat. I'd like him to tell me how many kids my goats have too!!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Halley had twins last year, but she wasn't mine when she kidded so I didn't see the build up. I got her when the twins were about a month old. This will be her second birthing. She's still out there with a little buck. He's small, but I'm hoping he had the right reach. :)

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
i find that where there is a will, there is a way

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
He spent the first month on the farm trying to impregnate his brother, so I was a little dubious. I'm open minded, but not THAT open minded, so the brother went to the butcher with last year's culls and now Handsome Stranger is showing the proper interest in the female doe. Soon as I know for sure she's pregnant, he goes over to my friend's farm to meet a couple of other does, and then it's off to the butcher for Handsome Stranger.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I am somewhat new to the goat world. i have had a few pet goats in the past but this one is all new to me. A friend called before Thanksgiving and said a goat had wondered to her house and wouldnt leave. She did not want the goat and the owner made several attempts to catch it without success. The owner told her the goat was pregnant with two babies and then abandoned the goat. This is where I come in. I caught the goat and have had it since. Her udders are filling up and I seem to be seeing her right side moving, but I do not know if and when she will have any babies. I have been researching and trying to find info and it seems that she should be around 115 -120 days along. Forgive me for my inexperience but what do I need to do next? She is in a 16 x 16 area right now. I have been cutting hedge for her to eat as she will not eat corn, goat feed, or sweet feed. Any help is appreciated. [email protected]
I would suggest you go to http://fiascofarm.com/ and do some reading...there are step by step instructions and a ton of info. You need to get your "kidding kit" together and get prepared.
Make sure you don't have a bucket of water with her..kids can drown and it just happened to someone on this forum. (and that was with a shallow dish) Make sure she has a nice area with dry bedding. Most important is for the kids to get dry and get their colostrum from mama goat. Mama goat should be wormed after kidding. Look into Cocci prevention. Good fresh hay, water and mineral grannuals with high copper content. :)

·
le person
6,241 Posts
Get either some alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets and start her on those slowly, just a small handful the first few days, working her up to about 3 lbs a day over 2 weeks time. Also start her on some whole oats in the same manner, very slowly up to about 1/2 lb twice per day. She needs this nutrition for her pregnancy.

Get her a loose mineral, not purina goat mineral. Something with over 1000 copper, and two sources of copper are best, not just copper sulfate. Offer this free choice.

Plus offer some kind of roughage 24/7, that's grass hay or browse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts