Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Greta, and I know she was exposed to a buck at least 2-3 months ago. She is about 1&1/2 years old. I know by looking at her belly there is no way to tell if she is pregnant. If she is bred this will be her first. So I am curious if yall think she looks like she may be starting an udder. ( I realize she will get a much bigger udder as she gets close to kidding) Or if this looks like it should for a maiden goat.
Of course I will keep an eye on her either way.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/11-17-08pm005.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/11-17-08pm010.jpg

·
Registered
266 Posts
to me, it looks like she's just starting to get a pooch there... usually, I can tell better by 'copping a feel'. hahahaha

·
Registered
499 Posts
ShyAnne,

I am in the same boat you are; I have a goat that may or may not have been exposed to a male, I can see part of her udder and teats from behind when she walks, unlike her sister who I can't see a thing on. I do know that they will kid 150 days from when they got pregnant. I have tried copping a feel and can't tell a thing from that as she won't stand still long enough and I don't want to do to much and harm the kids if she is pregnant.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I understand. Greta doesnt want me touching, but when I do I get a loose skin feel. I dont know if it means anything or not. I have been reading and read that even non preg goats *can* get a bag and make milk.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That loose skin feel is the pooooch. Not to sound wrong or anything, but I try to cop a feel often... just to make them used to being touched all over.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already started with my doeling to get her used to it. Greta is a handful. She doesnt like it one bit. But she is still getting used to her new home.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know about the making milk even if they are not pregnant; I also get the loose skin feel on the one goat that may or may not be pregnant. Does that mean she is pregnant, or can non pregnant goats get that loose skin feeling? Someone mentioned to me that it could mean that she is may have some dairy goat in her. From the pictures I posted on here; she at least is part boer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have read that you can buy a human preg test and test them that way, but i do not know if this is true or not.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know human preg tests dont work, because they test for different hormones.

Your girl on the right looks Nubian Boer to me but I am no goat expert. Very cute girls!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
No..human preg test won't work. If they did we wouldn't have so much fun here guessing if they are preggos or not ;)
My Gretta's udder started to feel like a small cantalope cut in half. It didn't get any bigger until she gave birth. I had trouble feeling her in the beginning also...then I found her sweet spots for scratching...armpits & inner thigh. And I would scratch her with the other hand and slowly make my way to her udder. But right when I would feel it she would move away. but I was able to cop a quick feel. :)

·
www.waltersgirlsfarm.com
299 Posts
I can try it tomarrow I have both non prego and prego goats. You can get pregnancy tests for a dollar at the dollar tree.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sorry the pictures are not better; they are still pretty leary of me getting to near them. I am slowly getting them used to me; and I am guessing if the one goat that they said might be pregnant is, she is most likely only a month or so along. The two goats are supposed to be sisters; but I am not sure if they are half sisters or full sisters. I'll try and get some better pictures and post them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why don't you just draw blood and send it into Biotracking? It's quick and easy and then you won't have to guess. It only costs 7.50 for the pregnancy test and for another 4.00 you can have your CAE tests done at the same time. I use them and I'm very happy with the service. They'll even send you the results by email, cuts down the wait.

·
Thinking up a great tag
696 Posts
I was in your same situation all summer. Drove myself (and my goat) crazy lol! My girl is also about 1 1/2.

I am new, but I um.. felt her up nearly every day. Her teats did get bigger and more obvious, and there was some extra skin there.. but when I brought home a buck, it was obvious she hadn't been pregnant, since she practically came into heat that same day :bash: lol! That doesn't mean your girl isn't though!

Good luck with your new goats! Pretty girls! (try animal crackers.. )

Meghan

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I don't know about the making milk even if they are not pregnant
It happens. I had a dry yearling this summer that started producing milk. I left her alone and she did dry up again. She was just bred a couple of weeks ago for the first time.

I can't really tell from the pictures if she's starting to get an udder or not. So far, none of mine have gotten all that loose skin. The udder always looks pretty firm, just small, as it starts to develop - kind of like a young girl as she starts to develop.

·
www.waltersgirlsfarm.com
299 Posts
Dont know if this helps but I have some nannies that are 3-5 wks from delivery. This is suzi and you can definately tell she is carring most likely trips.

THis is ava she is very large also cant really tell from pics but she is a trip thrower every time.

This is Tammy This is the first kidding season that I have had with her but her sac is 1/2 full I expect her first but you never know
These does with the exception of tammy have no evidence in their sac yet and they are due within 3-5 weeks.

·
www.waltersgirlsfarm.com
299 Posts
The first two of these goats I cannot put my arms around they are huge dont know why you cant see very well in pics, and I feel so sorry for them cause they will get even bigger the closer it gets.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great pictures!

I am curious though I live in Texas near houston. If she isnt bred will I have to wait until next summer to breed her? I ask because I read dairy goats will not cycle through the winter months.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts