Pregnant goat questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

When should you give the CD/T vaccine? I didn't realize how close we were to the First of January! I read somewhere it was suppose to be given 4 weeks before and she is now 2 1/2 weeks before her "estimated" due date. Is it too late? This is my first kidding so you'll have to excuse me. Also, what do you have in your "birthing kit"? Anything you definately wouldn't be without? Any other advice would be great to. I am one of those that just can't get enough information! LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

HelloTracy.
    No you are not to late. CDT should be given two-four weeks defore the birth. I have asked several vets and they all say the same thing. I gave on of by does a shoe that ended up being one week defore she kidded, and the vet said that I have to give the babies a shot at 2 weeks, 6 weeks and again at 10 weeks. Three because they didn't get that from mom. Of course only twice if mom had it before two weeks.
    What I have in my kit at all times. Lots of towels, dental floss " to tie the umbilical cord, strong iodine, nutri-drench for the baby right after they are born,scissors " to cut the umbilical cord only if it is too long" Molasses, " I add that to warm water for mom after she has done such a great job, or for between if she nees some energy" :grit: , I also have lond sterial gloves incase I have to go up into mom, and a good lube for the glove, the last thing I have always is a syrenge "if they need to have their little noses cleaned out, I have never used it before but I have it just incase" Good luck and happy kidding.
    Lori
    Sweet Goats

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I also like to have newspapers to slip under the kid during birthing. Or a feed sack. Unless you have spray iodine, a cup for it. I almost always need more towels than I think I will. I like to have a bucket or something to sit on. But I will put the birthing things in a bucket that I can sit on if need be.
    I leave the molasses in the house because I have to go back in for the doe's warm water, anywary.

If you haven't done a lot of kidding, you might study up on birth positionings, and which ones need some help. Ideally, of course, you want to see front hooves and then a nose. I've found that back hooves first also make it just fine. If the head is turned, it won't deliver without assist. If one leg is too far back, you might get a wedge effect which needs only a little assist.

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Thanks to those that replied. Anyone else with suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY