Pregnant goat and Dex

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoatsRus, Jan 7, 2005.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

AUGHHHH - My boer goat was sick and running a fever, not eating, walking very weakly so we had the vet look at her. He said she had an infection (she was running a temp) so he gave her some Genotocin and more syringes to take home and told me to give her 5ccs of penicillin also. On top of that I was giving her Lixotonic. She started eating better, had no fever, but still seems very weak when walking and does this bobbing thing with her head like it's almost too heavy for her to hold up. My husband took her back to the vet yesterday and he drew blood - looked at it said that it looked OK, but sent it off to the lab. We're still waiting on lab results some time today. He then gave her a shot of Dex and gave my husband a bottle to take home and give her 10 cc's a day (never did say for how long). My husband called me while still at the vets and I asked if he checked her for pregnancy - just in case. They unloaded her again and sure enough - SHE'S PREGGERS. This revelation came about AFTER he gave her a shot of Dex. What should I do? She was lieing down when I left this morning, but had not aborted. My husband called the vet on the blood and asked him about the Dex and he said to just hold off until we get the blood results back. I don't know how far along in her pregnancy she is because she was so sick. I'll guess I'll know more after the blood tests come back, but what is the head bobbing thing? Is she just weak from being sick and pregnant? We've given her BComplex, lixotonic and red cell trying to build her up. Could she have listerious? Will the blood tests show that? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I would give her probios a couple of times a day since she is getting all these antibiotics. As for the Dex I believe it can cause abortions but darned if I can remember for sure.

3. Sondra Peterson

4. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Well, here's the update - the vet got the blood tests back late last night and called this morning. She still has some type of infection because her white count was up. We've decided that we need to abort the fetus to save her so she's getting Genitocin, penicillin and the dex for the next week. She looked a little better today ( is eating good), but we expect the abortion to take place within 24-36 hours.

5. Sondra Peterson

Well saving the doe at this time is really all anyone can do. Best Wishes and hope she does ok.