Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that is due next week and she has a snotty nose. I thought I heard her sneeze last week but just thought it was because I was cleaning the barn. Is there something I can do for her or will it hurt her babies? This is her first litter. We got these from the auction in september and I have already butchered 3 that started snuffling. Didnt want to take a chance on it being something catchy. Guess it was. This cold snap didnt help. Altho it is a beautiful winter wonderland out there. Glad I dont have to drive in it.
Linda

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
I think you might be dealing with the same thing I am, I still don't know what it is, I cull the ones that I need to and have been disinfecting like crazy, read my post just down the line a bit, see if it is the same symptoms?

I wish you luck, and hope you can figure out what it is!

Melissa

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel so helpless at this point. The first one started sneezing and such so I cull it. 2 weeks later one beside it starts. cull it. 2 weeks later another one beside it. I guess I will be running out of adjoining cages pretty soon or there wont be any rabbits left.:( I am frustrated. I sure hope with bunnies due tomorrow things get better this week. Altho that doe is 2 doors down from snuffles. Not a good thing.
Also this week had my first fatality in the colony pen. She didnt make the transision as well as I had thought. So skinny. I feel so guilty. With 25 bunnies in the pen she got lost in the shuffle. they have an area 50 x 30 with access to the inside of the barn. Hay at all times and plenty of places to hide. I guess hide she did best. I do a head count when I put down pellets but I must have missed seeing how skinny she was getting with the nice thick coat she had.
Should I medicate all of them? Would that be a bad thing for the pregnant or nursing does?

Linda

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Have you tried giving some antibiotic? I have given my rabbits subcutaneous injections of penicillin. It won't hurt them and might save them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts