Pregnant Doe Update

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

The 14th came and went, no babies :(. Finally took the nest box out yesterday.

Have another one due Nov. 1 or there abouts. We'll see if she kindles.

I have an account with photobucket now so I'll try to post pics soon.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That's disappointing, Hilda! How many days did you give her before removing the nest box? The whole 36? Are you planning to rebreed her now?

Really hope you have better luck with the other doe... November 1 is not that far away!

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Yup, it's disappointing. I left the nest box in 'till day 34. I just went down now after reading your post - no litter. Should I put back the nest box just in case.

Thanks for wishing me luck. Freyja is kind of looking rounder, sort of...may-be. She's developing a dewlap, too. That only started after the breeding so I'm thinking these are positive signs, perhaps.

I'm going to re-breed her but I'm kind of hoping to get my Pal pregnant. That ol' hybrid vigor I hear so much about for meat rabbits. Of course, I want to have some pb cremes too, considering all the hard work and dedication that's gone into preserving and promoting this wonderful breed, it would be a shame if I let that all get lost in cross-breeding.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It couldn't hurt to put it back for a couple more days... A recent thread mentioned 36 days as the longest gestation time, if I remember correctly. It would be awful if she kindled late on the wire.

Freyja does sound as though she is pregnant. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping that the next breedings result in lots of plump bouncy bunnies. :bouncy:

5. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Thanks, MaggieJ, for the info. Day 36 today, no babies. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with Freyja. I appreciate your good thoughts and wishes!