Pregnancy ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by noname, Sep 24, 2006.

1. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I have a Toggenburg that I got this spring. She had just freshened and her kids were gone when I got her. She never gave me much milk, and round about the end of June I wasn't getting enough milk to make it worth the effort, so I dried her off. I fed her appropriately for a dry goat and figured I'd try again next year, and then if she doesn't milk well she's gone.

In July I noticed she was getting kind of chunky and I started thinking maybe she'd bred back after having her kids. The people I got her from keep a buck, so it was possible although unlikely. My brain finally kicked in (hey, better late than never!) and I remembered that dairy breeds are usually only in heat Sept-Jan. I'm more experienced with Pygmies, who breed year round, so that fact just didn't occur to me until recently. She is still obviously chunky and really doesn't like me feeling her belly or udder, which is unusual for her. She has been wormed appropriately and is otherwise perfectly healthy

So I guess my question is . . . is it at all possible for her to be pregnant now? Based on when I got her, she'd have to kid by the end of this month if she'd been bred the day before I picked her up. I'm wondering if there is any chance of her having kids now or if I should just figure she isn't pregnant and send her over to be bred. Has anyone ever had a doe kid this late in the year?

2. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Besides the buck, how long did they keep her with her kids? If she had a buckling, he could have bred her.

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, and don't bet on that "Sept to Jan" thing. :)

4. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cygnet. I think the kids were only with her a couple of months, but I'm not 100% sure when she had them. However, they do have a breeding buck and so a little unauthorized hanky-panky is always a possibility.

I just wasn't sure about the Sept-Jan thing - that's what I've read but I didn't know if it was a hard and fast, there's no way she could've gotten pregnant in March rule. Since it's a theoretical possibility, I'll just wait out the month and see what she does. If she were bred the day before I picked her up, she'd be due now. Even allowing for the fact that she might go longer than the average 150 days, I'm thinking that if I don't see kids within the next couple of weeks then she's not having any.

I hope she does kid - I'd really like some more milk out of this girl.