pregnancy wives tales.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Jun 8, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Well, here I am in my fourth month of pregnancy, and of course I am hearing a bunch of wives tales and beliefs like....
    If you carry high it will be a boy...low, it will be a girl.
    Lots of indigestion means the baby has a full head of hair.

sooo, I was just wondering, what pregnancy wives tales have you heard, or believe?

2. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had 3 full term pregnancies and have heard more than my fill. The thing that gets me most is people dont think you should do anything while preggo.No mowing yard, no weedwhipping, no cutting wood, no riding yada yada. Well I do everything I can and have fast easy labors which I credit to being in shape. All homebirths.

I have terrible heartburn and my first and third had gobs of hair, middle had fuzz that turned into tight blond ringlets. They never lost their hair.

The wives tales are enought to drive a preggo woman insane IMO

May you have a wonderful pregnancy!

~Mrs Whodunit

3. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

how about, if you put your hands above your head the cord will wrap around the neck, how is that for morbid.........there are alot of them, it is SO rediculous, btw though, I carried my boy high and my girl low.........don't know if that means anything though, I think that they are funny but not fact.

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Well its been a while, but one thing my mil tried to push on me was that pregnant women aren't supposed to sit on the floor. I also heard that pregnant women arent supposed to do anything physical, or drive past a certian month. For the later half of my first pregnancy, dh asked me to ride in the backseat. And you can't eat processed lunch meat or hot dogs. And you can't make a major purchase, or cut your hair b/c women who are pregnant aren't thinking clearly. :haha: :haha:

5. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Wow you sure had your share. The thing about the processed meat and hot dogs isn't too far off base though. Listeria bacteria can be present in those items and it is very dangerous to pregnant woman, the unborn, and small children. My SIL avoided those items during her pregnancies and she is an RN.

6. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I couldn't drive the last 4-6 week of my pregnancy. My belly got so big that I couldn't reach the steering wheel and the pedals (I'm short) at the same time. As for sitting in the back seat, well it is safer in the back seat and you don't run the risk of the airbag going off and hitting you.

So far this pg I haven't heard a lot of old wives tales - I learned how to avoid those sorts of people the last time around. :haha:

7. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

When pregant, I heard many "old wives' tales"! Everything from "don't raise your arms over your head" as mentioned previously to "marking" the unborn baby (like if you get scared by a mouse, your baby will have a mouse shaped birthmark or look like a mouse).

After the baby was born in early April, I had a ladies tell me not to go outside or take the baby out if I was breastfeeding cuz the black snakes would chase me to get my milk and slither down the baby's throat to get the milk in the baby's stomach (really...they really told me this....and believed it!). I was also told not to let a cat near the baby as it would kill the baby by stealing its breath.

~Berta

8. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Some where I have a book on pregnancy wives tales...think I tossed it ;)

I had horrible heartburn when I was pregnant with my son. In fact, I never had it until I became pregnant. Terrible time of it, popping rolaids all day.

My son was b-a-l-d until he was three!! :haha:

9. 1sttimemom

1sttimemom Well-Known Member

I'm carrying my 1st. I've heard some of the same ones listed here. I actually was horseback riding until nearly 5 months. Still cleaning barn & doing other chores around the horses until I was put on bedrest for preterm labor. My doc was fine with exercise, even said high impact aroebics would be OK as long as you were used to them. He did not want me riding tho! The lunchmeat thing is true. As a previous poster mentioned it can have listeria. You can eat it as long as it's cooked unitl "steaming hot" according to my docs. Also certain kinds of fish due to mercury pollution in the water it comes from. BTW, I am carrying a boy and he is LOW.

10. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I guess in the big city, they aren't as prevelant. The only thing I can remember was being told not to have a cat in the house, or it would suck the air out of the babies lungs.

I've carried girls and boys. With the girls I was not big at all, even with the secnod one, a semi-friend didn't believe I was pregnant, just saying that because I was gaining weight.

My duaghter's friend said that when your butt gets big, it means you are carying a boy...she thinks I'm carrying a boy, right now :waa:

With the boys, I got big and carried high. but I guess that butt thin may have been true.

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

100 percent true for me...I had 2 high boys and 1 low girl. I thought those stories of having to pee a lot were crap until my daughter parked on my bladder.

Which is worse, a boy in your lungs or a girl on your bladder?

BTW, I do have advice...EXERCISE! Especially those lower muscles you will be using...if they are strong, it will be easier. Mine pop out in 6 hours or less, start to finish. Squeeze! ;)

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My DH has a horse shaped one on his back, his Mom says she was spooked by a horse when she was preggo so he has a hairy horse above his butt. I have since found out that a lot of brown types of people carry this, and he has a tiny bit of eskimo in him.

13. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

My girl I carried high--could barely breath towards the end, and she liked it up there....she didn't drop down till the last minute :rolleyes: ! And she is still stubborn that way!

My boy I carried low-- was always going to the bathroom, either to throw up or to pee :haha:

I never listen to the old wives tells.....just did what felt comfortable to me. Heck a week before my due date with DS I was out chasing the cows thru the field trying to get them in the corral!

14. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Thanks for all the comments. I get a kick out of some of these wives tales. Never take them seriously though. It's just fun to to here some different ones, or simular ones from around the country and world.
    When I lived in Vegas I had one woman (originally from Vietnam) swear up and down that I was going to have a boy, because we had conceived on an even numbered date....I had a girl :haha: