pregnancy toxemia???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Sep 14, 2005.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Our little pygmy doe is due anyday now and I have noticed for the last week that she is laying down alot, walking a little stiff and almost looks like she is losing weight. I thought possibly that she was uncomfortable from the babies and that she was near labor, but I am begining to wonder if she is developing toxemia. She was not overweight, but did get bigger in the last month or so. I am going to go check her rumen, but I have seen her chewing her cud lately so that probably wont tell me much. Any suggestions on what to do for the just in case that wont affect the little ones, or am I just getting worked up over a big dose of "Im about to bust with babies you would walk funny too!" ;)

2. tinetine'sgoat

OK went out to check her again... We have green poop now. Still in little pellets, but green. Her rumen seems fine, she is burping up a storm and chewing her cud. She is grazing fine, and not in any different environment than before. Right side is pretty active looking, so that is good. Maybe I'm a worry wort. She kidded last year with her previous owners, twins, but they died. They said she had them on some concrete and they chilled and passed before they knew she had them.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

the green poop would concern me. I would keep a close eye on her, are you giving her alfalfha hay? is she getting minerals? and baking soda free choice?
    has she had her BO SE shot? do you give vitamin e? what about calcuim?
    give her plenty of goat drench, can be bought at any farm store, give her about 30 cc's aday, and watch her closely.

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Please do not change her food....and goats do not get ketosis until they are nearly dieing from hypocalcemia or pregnancy toxemia. All goats drop the kids down into the cervic and will hallow out their flanks making them look like they have lost weight. Does heavy with kids, lay around alot, and with the depleted amount of rumen and stomach space they can also have bowel problems. Stop adding stuff. Keep her diet exactly the same, if she is due anytime nothing you can do to her diet is going to change anything. If she goes into hypocalcemia she will shake in the rear, go down, won't eat, and you will have to administer CMPK, feeing her alfalfa in any form will not change anything if this happens this late in the game. It takes good nutrition the last 50 days to combat problems, not a quick change right now. And change in nutrition is only going to make the problems worse.

Put Sue Rieth in the search and read the article, print it out on hypocalcemia, if you can't find it we have it in our FAQ section on dairygoatsplus.com everyone should have this article in their goat books.

Nutradrench and the like is nothing but propolyn glycol and vitamins and minerals, way to much cost for what it is. A good diet with loose minerals is all the doe needs. Make her walk around. She is stiff in the rear because of how her body is made, the kids are holding her rear angle down, so she is walking posty, just like pregnant women walk at the end of pregnancy!

Have fun with your new kids. Vicki

6. tinetine'sgoat

Thank you much!!! I will say though she does like Winnie the Pooh childrens vitamins. Hopefully we pop out some babies real quick and they are all healthy!! God Bless!!