Pregnancy tests

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jan 22, 2007.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay, so we have ultrasound, blood test, bouncing and the pooch test. Anyone ever try this? I gave it a shot on a couple my does this morning that I know are pregnant and a couple that I know aren't. By golly, I got 100% accuracy. I even tried it with the nail angled, straight along the spine and perpendicular.

Take a light weight piece of string about 7 or 8 inches long. (the string off a bag of feed works great!) Tie it to the middle of a light weight nail about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and adjust so the nail is perfectly balanced.

Hold the string at about 4 inches from the nail and dangle it about 1 inch from the doe's hip bones. Be very still and wait for the nail to move on its own. If it begins to swing along the spine, she's open; if it swings side to side along the hips she's bred.

The doe must be at least 10 days bred before this works. The nail may move only slightly.

I'm not kidding.....I got the exact same results as my ultra sound! I've only done the dairy does. Tomorrow, the Boer crosses!

Ruth

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

wondering if that works with a herd where you don't know if they were expsed to the buck :rolleyes:
    you know, i herd you can even go out and pendel for how many she will have and if there is a doe kid in there
    you could make some money in the neighborhood :)

3. us4davis

us4davis Mommicked Mom

I know we have tried something similiar with brass wire. We take a piece of brass wire (nonfluxed brazing rod for welding) about 6inches long; bent a loop in one end and tie a string to the loop. Hold the string and let the piece of brass hang about 1-2 inches above what you want to determine the sex of. If it swings in a circle it is a female. If it makes a straight line then it is male. We have tried this on chickens:chicken:, birds, humans (my nephew said he knew what he was so he refused!! LOL), eggs (if not fertile it did not swing), and even bubba burgers (it did not even swing. What were we REALLY eating!!:confused:LOL) We even tried this on a pair of leather cowboy boots. It came up male. It was kind of hard to do the chicks because they would not stand still, if you hold them then it might pick you up instead of the chick. I was thinking about doing this on our bred goats:) just to see if we can "try" to determine what they will have.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

oh this reminds me of another trick we used to do at baby showers.
    we placed a knife (male) under one seat and a scissor (female) under another seat. the pregnant woman had to choose where she wanted to sit down without knowing what was going on. if i remember right we were correct 50%. i think this is not bad :rolleyes:
    maybe we can do something similart with our pregnant does? :rolleyes:

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

This is really weird but I remember at a birthday party when I was about 12 or 13 we did the string over the belly thing with the girls. I distinctly remember my best friend at the time had three separate movements and she did have three kids. (can't recall if the sex was accurate.) When it came my turn the string didn't move at all. I never had kids. Of course this was a silly game but so strange how things unfolded later on.

6. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.

LOL Ya'll would have been there a LONG time waiting for mine to stop moving LOL