Pregnancy Test?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tango, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

How can I tell if my Jersey is pregnant? My neighbor was listening with a stethoscope yesterday but couldn't hear the second heart beat, maybe cause of the rumen working. Any tests or other ways? She'sdo in March if she is pregnant. Thanks.

2. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

I don't know of any other way besides the vet style physical check. If she hasn't been cycling into heat then it is fairly safe to say she is pregnant.

When was she exposed to the bull? I guess in June sometime if she is due in March?

Ok, I googled it and came up with this:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/dairy/1999-04/pregtest.html

I guess you can check blood or milk for progesterone to see if a cow is pregnant.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Our vet was telling us of two methods to preg check. The "safe" way is to rach in and let it roll off his hand. The other way which can cause aborted fetuses (if its small) is the pinch. Some people pinch the little thing in there and it can "pop". But March is that extra month beyond when we had ours checked. The one we had checked is due April 24th. Either way, good luck!

Jeff

5. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Here's a place you can send a blood sample to for a pretty cheap pregnancy test--
    http://www.biotracking.com/index.php

I haven't done it-- couldn't get the blood sample-- seems my heifer hasn't been in heat since the AI in May, so i'm figuring she's pregnant :)

Susie

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff and Susie. I havent seen her go into heat, still watching her. Don'twant to try anything that would be harmful to the baby. I guess I'll just wait. The preg tests twstanley mentioned come in packs of 25 :(