Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I may have made an error this fall. I acquired two young nubian bucks, one will turn 1 in a month or so, the other I really dont know his age, but guessing he is 1+.
When I got these guys I sold my former buck (Spanish cross) and all my smaller girls, because I want to go more towards nubians.
Here we are, 6 months after acquiring my last nubian buckling, and none of my girls look anywhere NEAR pregnant!
I know it is possible that these guys have not bred them. ( I did see the older buckling mounting the girls ) I am wondering if it is possible they are sterile? How likely is that??

Didn't I read somewhere that you can get an over the counter pg test and use it on the goats?? I would be willing to do that, just to see if I have any babies cooking. DH thinks I totally messed up and will have to get another buck.
How long should I wait to see if they are pregnant? they are all dried off now, and we needs some babies on the ground! (also I have 6 girls out there, the bucks are running with them, none in heat for the last 3-4 months )

Looking for a little encouragment from ya'll... ((besides all these wonderful baby pictures are KILLING ME!!!!))

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
biotracking.com does blood pregnancy testing for $7.50/doe. You draw the blood and send it in. It's supposed to be accurate after 30 days after breeding. I don't think a drug store pregnancy test would work.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I doubt both are sterile. when you saw him mounting the does were the does allowing it or running off? I bet they are bred. :) if your bucks were young it may have taken a few tries though. no poochie udders? elongated vulvas? aren't they so mean to us, making us guess. really pulling blood is the best way to find out. I pulled blood on 12 goats all by myself a few weeks ago. they all got poked more than once but I eventually got what I needed and I'm sure I'll be better next time.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, the girls were more than willing to stand still for him!! It was all classic, typical breeding behavior.
But, no signs at all. Sometimes I think I see a poochy belly, but nooooo, the next day it all looks unprego again!
ugh!
I think they are trying to make me crazy!

I made a deal with myself earlier. I will wait until April. THEN I will panic!
I did want later babies, I hate having them in the cold. And I don't bring them in. So, March would work.

Ya'll just keep posting pictures. I am having baby goat withdrawl.
**sigh**

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't understand why so many people seem reluctant to just draw the blood and send it in. It's cheap! I'm not meaning to criticize--its just that the uncertainty would drive me nuts! It's virtually impossible that both your bucks are sterile. And there may be no overt signs of pregnancy for three months or more. If you track your does' heat cycle, and they've stopped coming in, they're likely prego.

Madfarmer

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Oh wow! Good for you for "upgrading" your stock! I am sure your girls are bred; mine didn't really look pregnant until about 5 weeks out....just well-fed! :D

Did the same person take all your "little ones", or did you have to sell them one-by-one? I'm sure Troubles will endear herself to whomever got her, and that Traveller is out making adorable kids somewhere!

Post pics of your new bucks!!!!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I don't understand why so many people seem reluctant to just draw the blood and send it in. It's cheap! I'm not meaning to criticize--its just that the uncertainty would drive me nuts! It's virtually impossible that both your bucks are sterile. And there may be no overt signs of pregnancy for three months or more. If you track your does' heat cycle, and they've stopped coming in, they're likely prego.

Madfarmer
Madfarmer, the pregnancy test would be $45 for 6 does, plus the shipping. It is $0.00 to just wait and see......knowing for sure is certainly nice, but when the bucks are running with the does, they'll either get bred or they won't. $45.00 for alot of us is better saved for an emergency. Of course, if you breed to outside bucks, or have invested in semen, then the pregnancy test is much more necessary....

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh wow! Good for you for "upgrading" your stock! I am sure your girls are bred; mine didn't really look pregnant until about 5 weeks out....just well-fed! :D

Did the same person take all your "little ones", or did you have to sell them one-by-one? I'm sure Troubles will endear herself to whomever got her, and that Traveller is out making adorable kids somewhere!

Post pics of your new bucks!!!!
OH, I couldn't get rid of my Troubles!!! She is onery, but I love her! :D
I was out trimming hooves the other day, had a feed bucket in my hand, and she walked up behind me and gave me a *love* push with her horns! lol!
I turned around and said *HEY!* and I am sure I saw her giggle!

I just sold Traveller, Troubles girl Spot, Nan and her girl. They all went together, and were doing quiet well the last I heard.

I keep watching and hoping.... and I think I am getting anxious!

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And your right Jill, $45 would be too big a pop right now. Especially with no milk, no eggs, no garden right now... we are just gonna get through the rest of winter and then see!
I was wanting to have kids when it was warmer anyway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
And no a store peg test dont work goats and sheep give out different hormones then preg women do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts