preg. goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by missbecky, Apr 5, 2005.

1. missbecky

missbecky Active Member

Hi all
    i have a question. We have a 3 yr old pygme. She is preg. for 2nd. time
    She has bagged about 3 weeks now. We are not sure when she got preg.
    Today she had a white milky discharge and i want to know if this is normal?
    Does this mean the time is near?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    ~ Becky :)

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy my gals can get dishcharge for up to 2 weeks before kidding...just had a nubian due this to me...checked on her 1 hour before she kidded and didnt even know she was ready acted as normal as ever...my pygmys will stand and lay stand and lay...nip at belly...I know when they are ready to go...but the discharge dont really mean to much unless ya see it hanging to the ground thats a real good sign...try to feel her teets they should feel firm and warm might even get a lil milk discharge a sure sign that birth is very soon...Dale Anne

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Becky,

I would say that usually the time is near, but as Dale Anne said it could still be another couple of weeks. These are goats and they do seem to sometimes want to be rather unpredictable when it comes to kidding just to drive us insane. We range maintain ours, so I might not always catch a small or non staining discharge, but have found that the ligaments, nesting activities and seperating slightly from the herd a more reliable indicator that the time is close.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.