Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago or so I had a young bantam roo go missing. a few days later a 3 month old chick no sign of anything with either. Friday a Wellsumer roo who walked with a limp was taken. He was a full sized roo and feathers were left this time. I'm thinking hawk. My animals have 3 acres with a 4ft chain link fence around it. Sunday two ducks went missing with out a sign. I was home all day and heard no commotion. All of theses were taken in broad daylight. I heard a hawk screeching Friday on the other side of my tree line, but the drake was big. We have healthy red tailed hawks, but could a hawk get a duck that's as big as it is? I have 2 dogs and a bunch of cats that usually deter land predators.

Any ideas, advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: I have rabbits in a hutch out side and nothing has messed with them. We do have bald eagles, but I've never heard of them leaving the lake that's about 15 miles away.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
we were losing ducks silently one at dusk for a few nights in a row- with the dogs on patrol (granted they were probably in the front yard) not the side or back pasture- but they are pretty vigilant and bark at everything (no sleep over here)--
I am thinking Fox- something silent and quick and takes one at a time- a snatch and grab kinda thing, they are pretty bold around here...

(we solved it by rounding up the ducks at night- they were sleeping against the cattle panels dividing the chicken yard behind the garage and the pasture-- and keeping up against our garage with the light on...)....

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,848 Posts
Lots of things could go over a 4 ft fence...hard to say what could take a large carcass back over the fence. Are you sure there's no way under the fence?

The birds could have gone over the fence and been taken there too.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of things could go over a 4 ft fence...hard to say what could take a large carcass back over the fence. Are you sure there's no way under the fence?

Oh they could come in through the creek. and all but the chick and Welsumer roo are notorious for going across the fence. I know the roo was taking out of the yard. I'm sure the point of attack is the creek in the back as and what ever it is is only coming up a short distance in the yard. What ever it is is taking whats near not the more meaty cats or rabbits that are up near house and barn. There were no tracks left yesterday, but no animals were taken either. I'm keeping them locked up when I'm at work. Although I was home all day Sunday when the ducks went missing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sounds like it's time for an all night stake out with a gun. That's how I found a bobcat taking chickens, and raccoons eating my ducks.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Fox is my Guess , never had hawks bother the the birds but we have enough of their preferred food around.

A few weeks ago had a adult tom killed found him with his head eaten and most of his neck.
the very next day the turkeys where raising a ruckus and I ran up to discover a Fox in pursuit. a pretty large one at that. this was 4:30 in the afternoon.

Two days later the chickens come running down the driveway in two large groups, followed by a smaller fox, this was 9 in the morning.

I also mowed down some of the front field a while back for the birds next day I found a half eaten rabbit that was not there before and have noted the rabbit population has dwindled quite a bit.

Fox will normally leave little evidence and only travel so far (save when they have kits) with a kill check all the cover for evidence.

Thats normally where I find carcases.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sounds like it's time for an all night stake out with a gun. That's how I found a bobcat taking chickens, and raccoons eating my ducks.
That would work, but all my livestock is locked up at night and I've never had a loss then. Therese were taken in broad daylight. I'm checking into getting a game cam installed this weekend. So I can see what I have visiting. Then I will set a trap accordingly. Its going to be fun keeping 12 barn cats up and out of the trap though. What ever it is isn't messing with them... I'm beginning to wonder if its not of the two legged variety. I sure hope not...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well, it does happen, in fact more often than most people think. I would say it's dogs too possibly, because I had chickens keep disappearing every morning without a trace. Then a neighbor messaged me that he saw another neighbor's dog walking by his house every morning with a chicken in its mouth.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I doubt it's a raptor. I don't think a redtail would carry off a duck or a chicken. A GHO might be able to; but, if it's happening during the day, that's fairly unlikely. I'd think it's some type of dog or cat. Could be yotes, but I don't know if you have any around. If a raptor gets them, you'll see a kill site. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a raptor doing it, just that I doubt very likely there'd be no evidence since it'd be pretty tough for a redtail to carry off a full grown chicken or duck.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Game camera is coming this weekend. Im thinking fox. I don't think its a dog because its pretty well known what will happen if they get in my yard. I did find a foot print larger than my small dog and smaller than my large dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they disappear during the day? I've had owls take more poultry than I care to admit. Keep them in covered pens (chicken tractors) now and they don't disappear. Coyotes don't tend to cross a fence, but a dog will. Walk the area around, if you find their carcass, how their are killed can tell you who did it. If their backs are clawed up suspect a raccoon, if their butts are eaten out could be weasels, ferrets, mink. Foxes tend to carry the carcass back to the den you may find some down and feathers left behind. You aren't supposed to shoot owls or hawks so the best thing is a covered pen. Cheapest way I did that once was buy a roll of wildlife netting at Lowes' and strung it across the top of my dog kennels, and wired it down. Something hit it once but was unsuccessful and didn't come back.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
male fox are dogs female vixen, had a begale show up a week or so ago , hes still here did not bother a soul, had he sss but no harm no foul.

dogs get loose, hell its almost like saying I'll shoot any stray kid that shows up...

hes still here and untill I can find the owner or proper home will be.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kids are debatable. I guess it depends on if they growl at me and try to eat my livestock. Last week I had a Blue Heeler show up starved to death. I fed it, out Front line on it and after a week of good food it left. Few months ago a bulldog that weighed about 75 lbs and a shepard mix. The bull fog was lunging trying to get through fence. It got lured in a kennel, fed and watered to wait on animal control to come get them. The neighbors dog will experience SSS. Its killed several of my chickens and received its warning. I'm still waiting to be reimbursed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh and yes I'm thinking fox.

Yes, it was in the middle of the day and there were no traces of any of them except the LF roo there were some feathers on the ground.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I had ducks visiting a pond hundred yards from their pen.
Two bald eagles will grab and carry them away. Usually
after killing, the eagle leaves feather evidence nearby.
Even if it is a fox, somewhere you should be able to find
some feather evidence of the bird.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ummm, foxes are dogs...
They are definitely not dogs, if you know a little about biology and classification. While foxes are in the same family as dogs, Canidae, they are in a completely different genus. Dogs are in the genus Canis and foxes are in the genus Vulpes. Plenty of differences between the two.

·
Registered
157 Posts
They are definitely not dogs, if you know a little about biology and classification. While foxes are in the same family as dogs, Canidae, they are in a completely different genus. Dogs are in the genus Canis and foxes are in the genus Vulpes. Plenty of differences between the two.

Yep, and more between wolves and coyotes, too; but, they're all dogs!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts