Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey not sure if this is the correct forum for my inquiry but this one gets traffic so I thought I’d post here. Anyway, I saw these paw prints when I got home from work this afternoon. The tracks run along our fence line to the corner post where it hopped our fence into the hen yard (5 ft fence). Gratefully my single hen and guinea were unharmed, but I’m perturbed b/c this looks maybe like a coyote? Fox are in the area and jumped our fence once to steal a hen in broad day light, maybe too big for a fox (?) but this was a nighttime breach. Sorry the pic isn’t very good, snow was melting in the upper 30s temps. There were no identifiable pad prints.
Snow Wood Twig Freezing Plant

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
Ohio?

Most likely a fox. Rear print to rear print distance is right around 20 inches. A bit too long to be a cat, a bit too short for coyote. The prints are way too small for a bobcat which have been seen in parts of Ohio.

· Registered
4,907 Posts
It has the distance and stride of a confident, non-hesitant adult fox. The remaining shape of what were foot impressions in the snow are the right size and shape of the small, dainty, almost oval shape of fox feet. A fox is capable of easily leaping straight up and jumping over something 5 or 6 feet high and they can climb up and over fences that are higher than they can jump. So I think it was a fox. Probably the same one that has come before and likely a regular visitor.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
Snow Twig Winter Wood Office ruler

Water Snow Automotive tire Road surface Freezing

These are fox tracks that were left in my yard this morning. I'll have to get some shots from the surveillance cameras. We had 2 roaming around the yard and in the rabbit pen.

Sorry about the poor picture quality. It was raining and I was getting ready for an appointment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts