Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a new coop for my hens. Here are the ideas I have right now:

- burying hardware cloth 18-24" around the perimeter
- creating a skirt of hardware cloth just an inch below ground but that comes out 24" from the coop
- surrounding the coop with 1-2" river rock 24" out on all sides and maybe 4" deep

I'd appreciate hearing what works for other people. Effectiveness is the first priority but cost and ease of installation are close on its heels.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Before we had our guardian dogs, we used the wire on the ground method. Depending on the severity of the predator issue, I would recommend 18-24 inches of wire, just laid on the ground, but connected to the bottom of the sides of your run. Assuming you have grass, the grass will just grow right up through the wire, and you won't even see it after a while. If you don't have grass, then you might want to bury it a little, but I would just pour some dirt on top, rather than dig it down. Mind you, though, this will only keep out digging predators. It will not help with climbers or flyers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that does seem to be the easiest. I need about 1' more of hardware cloth along the bottom part of my coop wall so a 36" roll should work great to press into an "L" shape for a skirt. The whole coop is covered so hawks shouldn't be a problem. And I have 1/2" hardware cloth walls so raccoons can't get their grubby little hands in to grab onto the hens. Their run will be a 2/3 acre pasture during the day. It is fenced with stout field fencing and will have hot wire along the top and bottom to prevent climbing or digging (mostly by coyotes). But, when they are free ranging during the day out there if something gets one then that's life. But, I just want to avoid something getting into the coop at night and ripping apart as many as it wants.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used rocks.....

We hade a pile of field stone that I took apart for the border of the coops works awesome.

There is no way anything is digging into my coops. Not sure what I would do if I didn't have that rock pile lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I cut some decent sized cedars and layed them around the base and then attached them from the inside. If anything can dig under or move them in the time I would notice it can have my chickens. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts