Precocious two week old doeling??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 2 week old Lamancha doeling out of an NOA 2 year old FF Lamancha doe who has an udder with milk in it!! I actually milked a tiny bit out. It is really cute. :) I have heard that this means the doeling should be really milky......anyone know if that is so or is it more of an old wives tale?? Here is a pic, she is the one on the right, the one on the left is her brother. This was taken the day they were born:

[​IMG]

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I would think hormonal inbalance... sounds funny tho! Hehe, can't imagine a 2 week old with an udder. :)

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The feedback I am getting from long-time breeders is that it normally does mean a very milky doe in the future. Just as sometimes very milky bucks can get milk and actually need milked. So I am *really* looking forward to freshening this gal......kinda cool!! :)

4. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

when my daughter was born she had milk in her breasts (lil baby ones). Dr said it was from my hormones in my breast milk. and was pretty common in breast fed babies. Just a thought.

5. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    ok I have heard of that in humans - except I was too naive to ask may questions, and had forgot all about it until this thread . . . very interesting

6. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Yes, the mother's hormones coming through the milk can do all sorts of strange things! What bothered me was when my newborn sons had blood (just a teeeny bit, but still!) in their diapers! Twas the hormones...