Pre Pig Planning Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by patarini, Jul 26, 2005.

1. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Want to get some piglets in spring -- I know they can be trained to an electric fence, how high and how many wires? Gonna be in the woods, will that be ok? Wanting them to help clear out some hills for pasture down the road! Any advice on breeds good for meat and foraging? Thanks in advance!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Pat,
    What fencing, if any is already in place. Pigs HATE electric and learn quick smart that it's an uncomfortable experience. The first wire should be about 6" above the ground, the second a foot about that, the third a foot to 18" above that. It is highly unlikely they will try to put themselves between two electrified wires to get out. But watch the little tykes. They are very good at digging and pushing earth on the to bottom wire effectively shorting it out and rendering your whole system pretty much useless. No flies on a pig and you can't even see where they've been :)

They should do very well in the woods but if your rearing them with an eye for the freezer, watch their condition and be prepared to supplementary feed them. Most of your freely available breeds should do well under those circumstances but I would personally try to stick to the older, hardier type breeds - Tamworths (if you can get them) Duroc, Hampshire, Berkshire, Saddlebacks. Large White (which I think you call Yorkshire) and Landrace can do well but a cross with a Duroc gives a darn good pig under free-ranging situations.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. patarini

Thnx for the info, no fences anywhere now -- I have a long expensive undertaking ahead! THNX!

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

If You feed them on a regular basis in the same spot it will be easier to herd
    them once butcher time rolls around.

5. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

patarini,

As far as breeds go, I would recommend having heritage breeds if you are able to find any close by. I know I'm a bit biased but the Mulefoot breed would do well for foraging. Tamworths are noted for their foraging ability also. I'm sure that Red Wattle and Herefords would be ok too. If you aren't able to get a heritage breed then I would recommend Berkshire, Poland China, Spotted, or Chester White since their meat retains more of the 'old style' characteristics than most of the Hampshire, Duroc, Yorkshire, or Landrace hogs do now.

Good Luck in your venture!

6. patarini

AHHHHH Great idea thnx!

7. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I fyou would like, I have the name and number to a man that has Red Wattles. I haven't talked to him yet though so I don't know what his prices are, etc. Anyway, if you're interested, pm me and I'll send you the info. I'm trying to get some for spring too... :)

8. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I should ahve some tamworths come spingtime. Give me a hollar then and I'll let you know.

Dan