Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my brother-in-law has been back in the hospital and they are now once again thinking he has cancer. He has lost from 200 pounds down to 153 in 2 months. Between the VA and Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines and John Stoddard cancer center, no one can figure out definitively if he has cancer or just sludge in his gallbladder and no one is willing to open him up to see, for fear of spreading the cancer. They are killing him by their "wait and see" attitude.

We don't quite know what to do and he's tired of doctors and hospitals and blood tests and CAT scans and PET scans and MRI scan, etc. He said the other day he was going home. If he was going to do, he was going to die where he was comfortable and so he did go home. Now we don't know what's next. I have never seen anything like this.

Please send up lots of knee-mail. This veteran nor any other, deserves the treatment he received from the VA here, including being told he should never have come to the emergency room at the VA, it is for sick people, and he was told he was not sick!

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
Cancer doesn't spread with surgery. Is there another oncologist he can see? I'll be praying. Two hundred pounds in so little time is horrible.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Prayers for your brother-in-law.
And can he see a Non-VA doc? My aunt's pastor has been passed around the VA docs down near Texarkana - he couldn't eat and keep anything down for months and they just didn't know.

Ended up being something that the civilian doc found and had to take the stomach out, make a small one out of small intestines and now the Pastor is recovering energy, color and life.

Angie

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is quite a bit of research that suggests that once cancer is exposed to open air, that it does spread, which is why they are reluctant to do surgery on any cancer, if at all possible not to. Not only that, healing times are a lot slower for patients with cancer, so unless absolutely necessary they don't want to do them.

He has lost 47 pounds in that 2 months.

Yes, he is going to non-VA doctors since all this started, but still nothing is happening because of what the VA has done in terms of tests. He just can't wait to go through all of those tests again.

They estimate a person with pancreatic cancer, which is the likely diagnosis here has 2 to 6 months to live once diagnosed. Well, he already has been through 2 months and down 47 pounds. If he goes another 2 months before anyone does anything, it will already have been too late.

We are looking at Cancer Treatment Centers of America. We have been pointed to one in Iowa City, just as of this morning, so now trying to get appointments and all set up. Keep the prayers coming. I told him that I have folks all across the United States praying for him. That made him feel better. He's so weak.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
As a cancer survivor, I think it's important to get the facts and not let a common myth discourage treatment.

From Mayo Clinic:

CANCER MYTHS

Exposing a tumor to air during surgery causes cancer to spread.

Surgery is one of medicine's main weapons against cancer. It can't cause cancer or cause it to spread. Because you may feel worse during your recovery than you did before surgery, you might believe your surgery caused your cancer to spread. However, "air hitting the tumor" doesn't cause cancer to spread.

Some tumors will grow to a certain size and become relatively dormant. This occurs if the tumors secrete a substance called endostatin, which suppresses tumor growth in both the primary tumor as well as in distant sites.

Unfortunately all tumors, no matter what their size, secrete angiostatin, which promotes tumor growth — particularly the growth of new blood vessels that supply oxygen and nutrients to the tumor. Therefore, if you have a large primary tumor and only microscopic metastases, the endostatin produced by the large tumor may prevent the metastases from growing. But if you remove the main tumor, you remove the source of growth-inhibiting endostatin, and the metastases, which produce angiostatin, may continue to grow.

Although it's possible that during surgery your doctor may find the cancer more widespread than previously thought, an operation can't cause cancer to spread nor can it cause cancer to start. Don't delay or refuse treatment because of this myth. Surgically removing cancer is often the first and most important treatment.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad that Mayo clinic believes that, although not all cancer centers believe that. It is not a "myth" but rather something that is as yet unexplained. I do medical transcription and work for a prominent cancer hospital in California. They do not negate the idea of it being a possibility.

Even so, it is not my choice to tell them either to open him up or not. It is simply that they WILL NOT, because of the above reasons already stated. So its moot point as to whether it does or does not.

We still need the prayers to get someone to do something. We are not discouraging treatment, we CAN'T GET TREATMENT.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I'm glad that Mayo clinic believes that, although not all cancer centers believe that. It is not a "myth" but rather something that is as yet unexplained. I do medical transcription and work for a prominent cancer hospital in California. They do not negate the idea of it being a possibility.

Even so, it is not my choice to tell them either to open him up or not. It is simply that they WILL NOT, because of the above reasons already stated. So its moot point as to whether it does or does not.

We still need the prayers to get someone to do something. We are not discouraging treatment, we CAN'T GET TREATMENT.
I guess, as with so many things, there are differences of opinion that have yet to be resolved. I've worked both as a nurse and as a transcriptionist for many years and have never heard the "air" thing referred to as anything but a myth.

I hope he's able to get a diagnosis and treatment quickly. He'll certainly be in my thoughts.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I am sending prayers that God gives the doctors the wisdom in finding out what is wrong, and definitively treat it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts