Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with my Mom, and she was upset. Said the rescue group of miners were in a cave-in, such a tragic situation. We will not get any news here for another 30 minutes or so. Praying for them. My grandpa was a coal miner, owned his own mine and worked others at Beaverdale, Pa and my dad was one as well, so it hits close to home.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They only had a short story on TV, said was the miners were transported to the hospital, they are expecting head injuries and crushed bones, nothing else. I called my mom back and she said they are reporting two critical, one unknown, and they had used ambulances to transport. We get very little details here.

Here is a link....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20283387/

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
go to www.ksl.com it is a utah tv station they have video online and are reporting 1 confirmed dead 8 injured 1 was treated and released i think 2 was life flighted to the university of utah trauma center 3 are in the hospital in Emery county

·
Registered
189 Posts
My heart was so saddened this a.m. when I heard the news of the death of 3 mine rescuers. Some days I simply do not understand God and whe He allows such things to happen. My husband works in a mine, here in Ontario. Each time a mine tragedy anywhere in the world happens, it certainly hits home.
My prayers go out not only to the families of the trapped miners but now those of the rescue workers.
Hugs. Donna

·
23,497 Posts
That is awful. I have been watching this as the man who owns the mine is the same one who owns the mine here locally. He used to stay in a house here on our road when he came to check this mine and his son lived here for several years. My Mom used to take care of his mother before she died. He grew up here locally. I guess with such a mining connection around here we have all been watching closely. I know so many people who work in his mines...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My dad worked with one of the trapped miners several years ago. He used to work for in that mine. My uncle quit working for Andalex Mine when Bob Murray bought it. He worked there for 30 years and Bob Murray cut his wages and benifits in half. My uncle told me months ago, that the guy didn't care about safety at all. We went to Price last weekend to visit both of our families and there is a lot of anger. Everyone knew about the bad conditions in his mines. They were afraid of losing their jobs.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Heartfelt prayers being said throughout the day for the families and the community in Utah.

My oldest son works in a limestone mine - fortunately, he works above ground with the trucks. Rarely is he asked to go under.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
the news has just said 3 dead 6 injured all but one is home now of the injured and he will be out within a week or so has back injuries 2 of the dead are miners 1 was an official from the mine or minig commission i didn't catch which they are still drilling down through the top to try to find the original 6 miners but are not sure if they will try to go back in throug the tunnel/shaft

·
GO VOLS!!!!
311 Posts
Man that is horrible. I woke up to the news this morning. Back in 1976 here near my house just across the state line there was a explosion killing 15. The recovery team was in and another explosion happened afterwards killing 11. It was at the scotia mines in letcher county Ky.

http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/scotia.htm

This is just a link that has all the fatal accidents listed by the year and what number the fatality was that year. Just show you a little about what these guys face everyday.

http://www.msha.gov/fatals/fabc.htm

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Last report I heard a few minutes ago says that about 12 of the rescuers went to the mine owner earlier this week insisting that the mine was too dangerous for a rescue and they wanted to be reassigned. So the report says that the owner reassigned them and put some more rescuers in their place. I assume it was some of these that was involved in the latest collapse. How sad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.