Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a moment of sharing, a friend just "let it slip" that they have Atral Fibrulation (sp?) and could go into A-fib at any time. They said it as a sort-of joke, asking if I knew CPR, etc, but it's been on my mind ever since. Very hard to swallow that someone you ALWAYS leaned on and looked on as super-strong has an enlarged heart and this issue.

I am praying, please join me, my HT friends!

Jill

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Jill,

Don't worry too much. People live with atrial fibrillation all the time. It's where the top two chambers of the heart don't have a coordinated contraction. Instead of contracting together, the electrical signals cause the muscle fibers to contract without synchronization, so the blood tends to pool. It can be corrected sometimes with cardioversion, but a lot of times people just live with it with drugs like digoxin to slow the heart and increase contractility. These people must be on warfarin/Coumadin to prevent clots and have frequent PT levels drawn to make sure the blood is "thin" enough.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Jill, how wonderful of you to be such a caring and concerned friend. Of course we will lift your friend in prayer.

If you want to do something that will give your friend a boost of confidence, take a CPR course or brush up on yours and then let them know you have done so. Just being with somone who knows that their condition exists and is trained to deal with medical emergencies and cardiac events will truly give your friend more peace of mind than you can ever imagine. With you at their side, they will know they have a better chance for survival in the unlikey even that "something happens" and they will feel less like a victim and more empowered to go on and live their life.
Great advise.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Excellent advice, Wind.

My father went thru a period of atrial fibrilation and it was very frightening at times. They finally corrected the problem with a pacemaker.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
I've had A-Fib for a good many years. My heart goes piddy-pat crazy all the time! No big deal.

I take my meds and forget about it!

My mother had it, my sister has it, my ex has it. I'm betting my kids will have it.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Best thoughts for you and your friend Jill. I'm sure she's glad to have a good friend like you.

I have congestive heart failure, ongoing since 1997, and now less than 30% heart function. I look "normal". :) And that's the kicker. Folks that don't know me might automatically expect me to physically do the same as they do. I can't, and that sometimes leads to assumptions that I'm unreliable.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Jill - I'll be thinking of you, and your friend! :)

And I'll also agree with Ardie (and add my twelve years as a medic) - Having A-Fib is not a death sentence. If properly controlled - folks live completely normal lives. I swear that half of my patients list A-Fib in their medical history, but call the ambulance for completely non-cardiac related events!

Just my .02!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts