Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there have been many prayer requests on here lately and while I hate to burden anyone, I was just wondering if some of you might add a college student to your prayers.
He is a nice boy, early 20s, a senior in our local college and a very good friend of our daughter. Yesterday evening, he was walking and started feeling bad (he walks all the time). He called one of his roommates to come pick him up and when the roommate arrived, Dan got up from the curb (he was sitting on the curb, still feeling really bad) and passed out. When he fell, he did some serious damage to his jaw area, which included breaking his jaw and damaging his teeth and mouth and other bones in his mouth. (I don’t know if the CAT scan showed other damage to his head yet. Should find out later)
Anyway, he was taken to the hospital and after they stabilized him, they sent him by ambulance to a hospital in Atlanta where he will be having surgery.
So far, it looks like he suffered heat exhaustion and that is what made him pass out (tests are still coming in). And as far as we know he will be ok. But he does have an ordeal facing him and a long recovery it sounds like. We are under the impression that he doesn’t have medical insurance, so that is another concern.
While I don’t believe this is a life or death scenario, if you don’t mind, could you just add him to your prayers and positive thoughts? Perhaps with that sort of support, he will have an easier successful surgery and a more gentle recovery. Also, perhaps the medical costs won’t become a financial crisis for his family and instead become a debt they can work on with the surgeons and hospitals.

Thank you for letting me ask. It’s not actually my normal style, but I felt compelled to. Is nice to be able to come here and just talk about things that are weighing a bit heavy on your mind.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Positive thoughts heading his way. College students have enough on their plate without adding this kind of set-back. Hope everything goes as well as it can for him!

Meg

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
We'll be praying for him here.

If you have a student going to college and don't have insurance, many of the colleges offer a plan for the students that is pretty reasonable. Both of my son's colleges required you to purchase it if you couldn't provide proof of insurance, but they are private colleges. It was about $200 per year for my son's.

Dawn

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes for Dan. They ran more tests on him yesterday and he is in surgery now, actually. (Was supposed to go in around 3)
My daughter and a friend drove to Atlanta to see him last night (he is about 2 hours away from where we are) and although they only got to stay 20 minutes, they were glad to see he is looking pretty well, considering. (just have to get past the obvious injuries)

My daughter was a bit upset though when she came home. She said his parents were there and had upset him. His father was mad because he thought Dan was in a fight, even though everyone told him what had happened. I don’t know why he would even think that as Dan is a great kid and not a trouble maker, etc. I can’t even imagine him in a fight unless he was protecting someone.
My daughter also said that his mother kept saying something like, “How do you think we are going to pay for this?”
I was shocked and it actually upset me to hear this.
My daughter was about in tears when she told me. She went from being teary eyed to mad, back and forth.

His family is obviously just a lot different from ours. Like when my daughters went deer hunting with the van (lol) and called us (police, fire department, whole thing), the first thing out of my mouth was,
“Are you ok?”
I didn’t give a darn about the van! Vans can be replaced. (I mean sure, it’s a hardship, but she was ok. That is what matters.)
Know what I mean?

But, hopefully things are better there today. Everyone reacts differently and perhaps his parents will concentrate more on taking care of their son and realizing there isn’t any blame here at all.

Anyone can faint from heat, even a healthy young college student! Most important thing now is fixing the damage caused by the fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts