Prancer now has a friend how to introduce them?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Pamela Jean, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Pamela Jean

Pamela Jean Well-Known Member

Prancer now has a friend he is 4 months old she is 1month and 1 week old. and named Faline. The lady I got her from said to just put them together they would be fine. He is a wether. Saw the vet do it my self helped even cut both removed but he really tries to ride her. Is this normal and will he hurt her? separated them when not able to supervise.
    Please Help
    Pam

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

They'll be fine togeather. Make sure the housing is large enough so that the doeling will be able to get in and the wether won't try to keep her out... No doghouses or whatnot unless there is two of them. 5 weeks is a little young for her to be weaned, but then again I bought a doeling at 4 weeks old, and was weaned at that time. She turned out normal sized, just remember to grain her till she's older, then you can take her off the grain.
    Good luck!!

3. Pamela Jean

My Goat,
    I am trying to put her on a bottle. that is what I did with prancer. he was taken away at about 5 weeks as well. but I do have gain for her. Is it ok to separate them at night to eat sleep and recoup to different dog kennels. then put to gether in morning.
    and is it normal for him to try to ride her?
    Thanks
    Pam

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

He's trying to show her, he's the boss! I would say it's normal. Just be careful to let them have enough space, as Mygoat said. Hopefully, in a day or two he will be used to her and stop with the 'show'.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yes, =Queen Bee is right as well. Mounting among goats is common. Goats, including does, will mount others just because they are more dominant. In does it is also a sign of heat... But a wether mounting a new younger doeling is normal as well. After a few days he'll tire of all the extra effort and stop. After you get the doeling to start taking the bottle really well, feed her a little bit of grain twice a day. I would also give them both free access to alfalfa pellets when they get older, because it sounds like they have little grazing/browse in dog kennels. Dog kennels are fine for when they are young but in a few months they will need actuall pasture to browse on, the larger the better. Separating them at night is not neccesary, but if they are in doghouses, provide two so they can sleep separately if they wish.
    good luck!!

6. Pamela Jean

my goat and queen bee,
    Thanks for the help, I do have them in the kennel 13 x 8 but I also go get freash branches every morning for them and line the sides of the pen. and they have a wagon full of hay as well in the goat house plus they get horse treats called nicker makers alfafa hay with a little corn mixed in.
    Pam