'practice' land shopping?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Timedess, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Timedess

Timedess Guest

hi, y'all. i've been reading a great book called 'finding and buying your place in the country' and i've been learning so much! lots of stuff that i probably would have been asking here, in time- so that saves y'all from a bazillion questions in the future! :haha:

one thing i'm wondering, though... as far as i can tell at this time, when we do get ready to shop for some land, it will likely be in this vicinity (probably a county or two over, since ours is so expensive and getting more crowded every day!). what i'm thinking of doing is finding some places similar to what i think we'll want and go looking at them... of course, i know that i would not be actually considering buying anything right now. so.... in the eyes of the sellers and real estate agents (among whom we would likely end up dealing with in the future when we are looking 'for real'), would this be 'ethical'? i know i wouldn't have to tell them that i'm just practicing... i want to practice checking things out, like it talks about in the book. kind of 'develop my eye for details'. can i ethically do that, or would i be setting myself up for relationship problems in the future? or... could this actually be considered preliminary land hunting on my part?

thanks

in Him,
    Timedess

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. If you plan to use the same realtor in the future, this gives them an idea of what you are looking for when you are ready to buy.

When we bought our property, our realtor was great. I found him online (we were in TX, he was in MS). We exchanged a lot of emails...he would send me property listings online that I could look at...I would email him why we did or didn't like the properties. We made three or four trips over to view properties and he would have his day arranged so that he could spend the ENTIRE time with us. Like I said, he was terrific and we did finally find this place through him. It was a lengthy ordeal, but that's his job!

3. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Wow! Sounds like a keeper! Of course, I suppose he was thinking that the better he treated you, the more likely you'd be to buy through him.... guess he was right! How long did you look before you found what you wanted? That is something to take into consideration. I wonder how patient of a 'buyer's agent' I could find around here? Hmmmm.....

Thanks for responding. :)

Timedess

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Go right ahead and practice. Half the people looking at a house for sale are just looking and have nothing better to do with their time. You wont be alone, just dont give the impression you are really interested and get some poor desperate homeowners hopes up. :p

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You could also go to the county's tax office. It might be called the Equalization Office. Ask for a list of sales of the type of properties you are looking for. With up to date software you can request sales by class (agricultural) and land size (10 acres or less). In this way, you can see what was actually paid for specific properties. In cities and townships that we have reappraised, we've mapped out neighborhoods by market value, and you could do this with a map and magic marker. You will be able to figure out the bubble areas that are high priced (on a lake, for instance, or good bottom land) and those that are mid or low priced.

You will notice a differenence between wooded and crop acreage. Wooded acreage, since you will be near a big city, is being sold to people looking for a weekend getaway or hunting land. If you want to buy reasonably priced wooded acreage, you may have to look quite a distance from the city. Land used for dairy and other pasture concerns is usually cheaper because they are usually on less desirable land.

6. Timedess

Timedess Guest

good idea... actually, we want away from the big city (there are really only two "BIG city areas" in arkansas, and we live in one of them, LOL!), so we'd more be looking into the pasture/farm land as opposed to the hunting/vacation land. although, to be quite honest, i wouldn't mind a wooded area on the land too. i am firmly of the opinion that kids (and adult kids) need a little bit of woods to go exploring in from time to time!

Thanks, both of you, for your responses and encouragement!

Timedess