Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that most of us are wishing to protect our love ones & ourselves. I've accumulated what I thought would be needed in dealing with 'regular' flu outbreak & have added more PPEs in case I / we have to deal with Ebola.

Came across this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/abby-norman/im-a-hazmat-trained-hospi_b_5998486.html

Now I'm really worried. If a medically trained person (basic dr's office or small town hospital) aren't trained for this what are my chances if I have to help a member at home?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I read the article a few days back...loved it. If everyone would be so honest rational decisions might be made.

My take on the entire thing is I will be proactive and careful in how we go about our daily lives until this is over...but other than masks, gloves, and the usual preps, I am not changing much. No hazmet suits or respirators in my Amazon cart.

I know I am not totally isolating at this moment, but I have cut back drastically on our outside interactions. And we are ready for a few months lock down. We will get through this....

·
Registered
512 Posts
A young woman in Africa was able to protect herself while caring for 4 ill family members, with little more than gloves and trash bags. That tells me that your brain is the most important piece of PPE you have.

Just because most medical professionals are not currently trained to deal with this, that doesn't mean the information isn't available. It simply means ebola was not deemed to be worthy of time and money spent on training staff and stocking the necessary equipment.

Unless something drastically changes with this virus (and we know they readily mutate, so who knows?), most of the world's population will never be exposed to it. Not everyone exposed to ebola gets sick, and not all who get sick die.

This is not the time to worry. Worry is a waste of resources. I have not bought anything to "treat" ebola that doesn't have very good evidence of being helpful for some other sort of illness that has a much higher chance of actually being seen inside my house. I do not own one single piece of PPE that does not get used for everyday farm life in some form or fashion. DH has bad pollen allergies, I hate getting paint and raw hamburger on my hands, I'm too cheap to buy a canvas beekeeping suit, I do occasionally bleach towels, we have to walk in mud from time to time, we butcher chickens, I plan to make soap some day, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts