power requirements - 6' finish mower

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by .netDude, May 5, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

A guy down the road from me has a KingKutter 6' 3pt finish mower for sale. Don't know if my compact will handle it...I have a Suzue, 15hp Mitsubishi engine, 4wheel drive, 600 hours.
    Any opinions on if it'll pull the mower?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My 19 horse Kubota has trouble running a 5 footer in anything more than lawn grass.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A 15hp is way too small for a 6 footer. My dad has an 18hp Kubota that he pulls a 5 footer with and heavy grass will just about stall the tractor out.

The gearbox rating has a lot to do with the size tractor you need to pull the mower. Most 6 footers are rated for 35-40hp.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

dw's brother used his 17 hp kubota pulled a 5foot bushog didnt have any trouble in high grass

5. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Thanks, guess I'll pass. Too bad tho, good price, If I had $, I'd buy it for when I get a bigger tractor.

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if he is just down the road ask to try it and see what your tractor will do, with it, (i think your a little under powered) but a finshing mower is more like a mower deck on a lawn tractor, and is probly a three blade unit, where a bush hog would only have one large blade so to speak,

you my be slow but it might work if your not trying to do 3' tall weeds, but then you dont have to cut the entire width of the mower deck either,

I would asl to try it out and if your tractor will handle it go for it,

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you try the machine make certain the blades are sharp. Sharp blades will reduce the HP requyirements. Does you tractor have a built in overrunning clutch so that when you slow down the implement does not drive the tractor with it momentum? Some tractors can be pushed by the PTO driven implement and if yours is that type you could end up in a ditch or worse without an add on clutch. Be safe.

8. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Also, guys, remember it's not just about the engine turning the blades, but also the weight on the lift. I still think 15hp is way too small a tractor for that mower.