Power out in WV

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Junkman, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Our 11:00 pm news said 35,000 homes were without power today (12/1/06) in WV. Power Co said should be back on by this time tomorrow. Obviously, not us this time. Ours was off just a few seconds. We had wind gusts up to 55 mph. Blew the cover off one of the chimneys we are not using and had to chase Red bows and poinsettias across the yard. Guess there were lots of trees down. But, being a homesteader, we are prepared for outages. Anyone else out there get the brunt of this storm?

2. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

The 6:00 news reported as many as 55,000 without power here in NE Ohio, luckily we're not included. We got some strong winds, 60 mph gusts, most of the afternoon and night here but no damage. The Chrismas decorations sure were flying though. I saw a big plastic lite-up penguin? go down the street about 40 mph :)

I have a small place down in Lewis Co. WV and I swear if the wind blows and it rains at the same time I can lose power there for a day. Not to mention the phone going out. Glad to hear you still have power.

Kurt

3. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

We lost power last night around 5 pm and came back on around 11. It is so cool when this happens...no big deal just go get the lamps,crank on the gas fireplace and kick back and enjoy it!! My DH came home around 6 and asked if I wanted him to turn the generator on and I said no- we were enjoying no power. The boys and I were reading books, playing games...it was nice to have no "noise"...TV,radio...and yes for a time computer!! But I must admit I don't think I could go long without my computer!!

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

The saw mill had to shut down at 11:55am after we lost power. All the mill workers went home when the power co. estimated power being back in the area of 5pm, but the logyard crew stayed to recieve logs. We only recieved 2 loads of logs after the wind started. Could hardly stand out there to scale them, as the wind tried to blow me away.
    We are off grid at the farm so no problems here. Lots of trees were down in the area though. I don't know if my neigbors have power or not.

5. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Lost power last night for about 4 hours, got trees down and a few apple trees lost limbs. We have ice, no snow, Like what we use to get in NC.

6. SignMaker

SignMaker Well-Known Member

Sue,

What part of NC were you in at the time?
    My brother and his family live in the eastern part and are trying to convince us to move there. We prefer what we see in the western part of NC though.
    Also, we want some snow rather than ice. :)