power inverter & best? battery to run your PC off the grid?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by superduperchickenman, Sep 9, 2005.

1. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

what's the best 12 volt battery? Lawn tractor? car or truck, marine battery... any experiances with this folks?

I'm currently using a power converter and a garden tractor battery. What's best or better? TY in advance.

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

A Deep Cycle marine battery would be alot better and a pure sine wave inverter would be better, but if yours is working------Good! How are you recharging the battery? Randy

3. windkistacres

windkistacres Member

Use golf cart batteries because when you use a regular car or marine battery, they are designed with cranking start power which causes them to "burn" more energy even if you're only starting a 25 watt bulb. golf cart batteries don't do they, they "start" with only the amount of drain for what you are using. you need to hook up 2 of them together as they are only 6 volt, but there is a way to do it so you get 12 volt power.....

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Your best bet is to SKIP the big inverter, Get a laptop and drive it straight from 12volts. THe batteries will determine uptime, A lawn tractor isnt going to have much reserve. A Trolling (not to be confused with a marine battery) would have a better discharge to zero rate. The OPTIMA auto batteries come in several versions and there deep discharge would work well.

If you dont want to go the laptop route then take a look at some of the 12v power supplies on the market, Mainly created for the car computer fans but work well.

5. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Hey, how much would a setup like this cost to get going, just in case I should need to live off grid for a while, yet keep my internet services, as I have often thought of calling my electric company in the spring and telling them to put me on vacation mode, while the weather is so nice outside, and thereby saving myself some money. Any help would be appreciated.
    Michelle

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I'd agree with Gary - get a laptop. Laptops are much more energy efficient when compared to most desktop systems.

When off-grid, you're going to almost be forced to go with everything which is energy efficient. I think most folks take their grid electricity for granted. When creating electricity yourself, it is complicated, time consuming and very costly to produce enough usable power.

cheers,