Power back on!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wyld thang, Dec 19, 2006.

1. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    We got our power back this morning. The storm was amazing. Our house was shaking at times--and I think it's a testament to how well built our simple little a-frame is that it survived without getting bumps and bruises. Our house faces the west, on top of one of many ridges in the Oregon coast range. So we get the full force of storm winds(candidate for a windmil!!). At Mount Hebo, not far from us, the weather station recorded peak gusts of 114 mph, and sustained winds 60-80mph. I went outside to listen to the wind at times, and there were so many sounds and notes. The coolest one was the low tones, like a low groan that you could feel through your feet as well as in your gut. Here is a cool story John Muir tells of riding out a windstorm in a Douglas Fir:
    http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/w-storm.htm

We were snug with our woodstove, and had plenty of candles and oil lamps. I had fun cooking breakfast in the freeze the next day--pancakes on the burner and bacon in a pan on the BBQ, just like camping :). The next day I made eggs benedict on the BBQ :), toasted the muffins on the woodstove. We also made stew on the woodstove, and took it over to our neighbor friends house and shared supper, a good time blabbing in candlelight. My 16 yr old son played his guitar, and my 12 yr old son played legos, they had good spirits and weren't too bored.

We lost 5 firs on our property around the house, I haven't walked around mroe yet. THere are more that are heaved up, ready to fall soon. One (about 12" d)was next to the shed, so I asked hubby if he could push it a little with the bulldozer to make it just miss the shed(it was aiming for the corner). So he straightened it back up with the dozer and then made the cuts. It was still hung up in another tree, so he pulled it down with the dozer and the tree landed squarely on the shed, then toook out the chicken fence as he pulled away. Why smash a corner when you can smash the whole thing?? But it just put a dent in the roofline, and knocked out the rafters. It was just a junk shed anyway:).

There were quite a few trees that fell across the road, but hubby and a few other neighbors cleared them. He dragged home some nice firewood logs with the dozer.

The power did come on saturday night, but the fuse down in the junction box(?right term?) blew up because nobody turned things off(we did), when the power came on it had to power up all those lights and wells and electrical stuff all at once, and all that load on a cold system fried it, giving us three more days of no power. So we will post an anonymous letter down at the mailbox about what happened, and tell folks that next time turn off all your stuff, and let the system warm up.

Hope everyone else is none the worse for wear!!

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. We had ours out for about 36 hours a few weeks ago. Some things were quite nice about it, but it sure was nice to have the electricity back.

Enjoy the current. :)

Lynda

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Lucky you -- I am still without power since last Thursday's storm. My chest freezer was full of meat, and I was worried I would lose it -- but every day I thought "Today the power will come back on". Still hasn't, least not on my road in Kitsap Co WA. I managed to borrow a 2000 watt generator and am recharging my freezer (and I hooked up my computer, too....) I was relieved to find that only a few things in the baskets at the top of the freezer were softening. That means that I can depend on my freezer to keep things frozen for 5 days anyway. As long as it is full and as long as I don't open it.

Reading by candle light gets really tedious, though. My hat is off to Abraham Lincoln.

No idea when power will be on. We're extremely parsimonious with water, so we've still got water coming out of the taps, but we shower at friends' and family, and thank goodness for deep woods (us and the bear and the Pope...) I'm out of clean dishes and pots, and clothes. Time to go to the laundromat.

4. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Hey, maybe Santa will bring you power for Christmas! Do you have a woodstove? I just kept a big pot of water on mine for hot water. We just put our refer things outside in coolers, with the lid open(!), and shut them at night(to keep out animals).
    We have a well, so had the water in the tank. I also had squirreled away bottles of water in the eave cubbys under the a-frame roof. Made the kids pee outside ;)

I agree about Abe Lincoln! My eyes got real strained when we went into town/"civilization" for my nephew's christmas recital. All that bright electric light! In any case, I really did enjoy the power out. We had what we needed, and since there wasn't the computer or tv we sat around and talked more as a family, and visited neighbors more. It seemed like time lengthened out, living with the sun. It made me think that it seemed like the pioneers/people before electricity/tv had two lifetimes compared to ours these days. Somebody posted about time flying awhile back, and I know I've experienced time slowing down out here, not in a boring way at all, but in a experience more of what is going on in the world around me and the big picture of the seasons and circle of years. And I suck that up big time :)

Hope the power comes back on soon for you!

My hubby did go nuts not being able to play his electric guitar. I think he's going to get a generator just for that!!! ;)

(sorry to blab on...;)

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

We must be neighbors. We "weathered" the power outage just fine here. Tired of hearing people whine about how they didn't have hot coffee - like they never made coffee without electricity before?? I can't believe how unprepared so many people were. Nothing to heat with, so they drag the BBQ inside and kill their kids? Dumb dumb dumb. It's not like Oregon doesn't have at least one major storm every year! Okay, rant mode off - glad you made it through okay.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Want to mention, both my freezers were full of meat. Power was off from Thursday afternoon until Tuesday afternoon - never opened the freezers - checked them when electricity came on, everyone still frozen solid. It's probably good the temp never went above 35 here during the power-out. A full freezer with a good seal will stay frozen a long time.