Powdery white mildew problems!! Help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by OrganicGuy, May 12, 2005.

1. OrganicGuy

OrganicGuy Active Member

I have various herbs and veggies growing in my greenhouse and once again I am having problems with the white powdery mildew on leaves and flowers. I have tried the 10% skim milk and 90% water and spraying them until the leaves drip. Any other ideas organically would be much appreciated.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

It's not the cheapest, but gardensalive.com has Serenade Solutions. You can only get it from them, or in large quantities from the manufacterer. It is Bacillus subtilis bacteria. I've read a bit about it, I will be getting some to have on hand in case it is needed.

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Research has shown that free water will actually explode mildew spores. So, if you wash down your plants first thing in the morning and provide adequate ventilation so they'll dry quickly, that may help. Since mildew repels water, adding a surfactant may help, too.

A spray:

1 quart water
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 - 2 drops liquid soap
    Spray upper and lower surfaces of leaves. May be sprayed every 3 days if there's a problem until it's gone, and once a week as a preventative. This solution changes the pH of the leaf surface so it's less inviting to mildew.

Also, make sure that there is ari movement around your plants, as still, humid air will encourage the problem.

Best of luck!

4. OrganicGuy

OrganicGuy Active Member

Thank You I have tried the Serenade Solutions, wow what a smell. works well and I'm out. I am hoping the A spray will do the job until I am able to purchase more. Wear a sars mask and long sleeves when applying, hat also, it's really potent.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

we specialize in fungal diseases here in the humid southeast. i've been told to prevent diseases like this, i need to sterilize the soil first, either by baking it, or pouring boiling water through it. the rationale is that all diseases, except those involving insects, are soil borne.

if this is inaccurate, i hope someone says so.

6. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I use this all the time, but just to add, some plants can be harmed using this, so try it on one leave and wait 24 hours, before applying to the hole plant.

7. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I found this recipe in Jerry Baker's book and it is for a general "sanitizing " of things before the season starts...use it on roses and others in the early spring...(may want to try it on a leaf first as well..rugosa roses don't seem to like ANYTHING on their leaves)

Early Spring Rose Wash
    1 T 7 UP pop
    1 T antiseptic mouth wash
    1 T liquid dish soap
    1 T. dry instant tea
    All into 1 gal. warm water and spray it on

8. OrganicGuy

OrganicGuy Active Member

Thanks for all the info, I'm getting ready to go to the ranch, I will let you all know what works out for the mildew prob.