powdery mildew

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wheresdabeef, Aug 18, 2005.

1. wheresdabeef

wheresdabeef Member

for the second year in a row my squash, zucchini, and pumpkins have gotten this, as soon as it sets in the plants are history, the fruits start rotting and the plants die. How do I prevent this??

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Mine haven't been quite that bad. I spray the leaves with a milk (1/4 cup) and water(1 gallon) solution or Baking Soda(3 teaspoons), Soap (a couple of drops) and water (1 gallon) solution. I do this every 3 or 4 days. The new leaves seem to come up without getting the powdery mildew. There is also a potassium bicarbinate product that has come out. It is also organic. Baking soda is sodium bicarbinate. The potassium is just a little better for the plants and soil - too much salt (sodium) is not very good for either.

You could also try watering from underneath the leaves and spacing your plants further from each other.

Good luck!

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to look for cucumber beetles (vile, nasty things!), as they carry powdery mildew.

I hate those little bugs!!! :grit:

Pony!

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Chamomile flower tea is a specific for powdery mildew. You can just use the commercial teabags and use it as a spray.

Garlic spray is multi-purpose and is also highly recommended:

GARLIC SPRAY:
    Soak 1/2 cup crushed garlic cloves in 1/2 cup vegetable oil for one week. Add a little liquid soap and dilute the mixture - 1 part mixture to 10 parts water. Garlic spay will kill and repel aphids, woolly aphids, bean fly, stink bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, red spider mite, sawfly larvae, scale, snails, slugs, thrips and caterpillars, mosquitoes and ticks, the adult moths of leaf-miners and mealy bugs. It is an effective fungicide when used 3-4 times a week against potato blight and damping off.
    OR
    Crush 100g garlic, 2 chillies and 2 onions and cover with water for 24 hours. Strain and add enough water to make up 2 litres.

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I've been in the nursery and plant business for 25 years and I would definitely agree with everything you have said. Wish I'd said it first. milk and baking soda works, is safe, and its cheap and on hand. works on plants like lilacs too!

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

this one I'm not sold on yet.
    nothing I know of works on all these insects. Soap might work on slugs because it's an alkali; like salt, however it would take such a concentrated amount as to be harmful to your plants. soapy water is very effective to help control spider mites cause it makes water (wet)...it removes the skin (meniscus) on water, so that the next few times that you spray water it becomes more uncomfortable for them to hide and reside in your plants. water penetrates the thick foliage better. Mites love it hot and dry, and prefer to be around stone, concrete, foundations, walkways etc. caterpillars ...I doubt it. they are eating machines. best way to kill them is in the belly. they have to eat it. BT is a very safe effective product to use, but need to apply it early in the caterpillar lifecycle.
    If soapy water works at all on insects then it is by drowning them, since most of them breathe through the abdomen its possible but more effective with addition of hot pepper.
    Scale insects have four different life stages and they only eat during two of them. If you have scale on your plants then you probably have all 4 stages present on the plants, since they are so prolific. Each life cycle lasts about 1 week. If you use a systemic insecticide, (very toxic) then you have to apply it once every a week for four weeks. If you miis a week then you should start all over again. However dormant oil is totally effective against this insect since it smothers and acts like flypaper, sticking the bugs in place and isn't a pesticide at all. Just dormant oil. Mosquitos and ticks would probably have to be sprayed directly to work so guess that it wouldn't be practical to use.
    Please be careful of blanket statements concerning killing of insects and diseases. I'm not sure if garlic or onions work on diseases. I just don't know. They work great on dead animals though with some butter.

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Don't knock it until you try it. It's widely used by commercial organic and hydroponic growers in my part of the world. And it works.

8. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

There is a new product out this year called "Garlic GP". It is being advertised as a "cure-all". I have only been able to find the Rose GP and the Lawn GP. I have seen a picture of the Vegetable GP, though. So I know that it is out there.

I would wonder what could be so different between a Rose bush, a lawn, and vegetables. Of course, vegetables are edible.

9. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I have used Garlic tea in a sprayer with great results! It has to be strong of course....and used once or twice a week...but it is much less harmful to human's than some of the other stuff that is out there. I made a tea a couple of years ago that was great for spider mites and aphids. It didn't seem to bother lady bugs at all. Except that I repelled the aphids of course and they didn't have as many to eat. I used garlic in copious amounts, red pepper flakes, onions, a bit of soap to break it all down and hold it on the plant....and then of course...water. I put it all in the sprayer after steeping it in boiling water and straining it out. Oh.....I whirred this stuff around in the blender before adding the soap and water. It stinks, but works great! I would do the whirring OUTDOORS! :eek: For some reason sucking and chewing insects don't care too much for garlic, onions, and peppers! Maybe they don't want bad breath!?! ;) It even works better if you put this concoction on with some fish emulsion too. You get to kill the bad bugs and feed the plant at the same time. I wouldn't see why you couldn't add chamomile water for mildew too instead of straight water. The garlic is supposed to be good for that also....like black spot on roses...so it MUST be antifungal too. Garlic is great stuff! I know it repells mosquitoes, flies, and ticks in animals. My friend feeds it to her dog and he is gorgeous! Has bad breath....but is gorgeous! heeheeheehee! :happy: Blessings all! Nan

10. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

How to prevent this, as my Ag Agent says Don't water over head, Don't get water on the leafs, and Don't over crowd. Water in the morrning and not at night. As for over crowding, Squash need good air flow in and around the plants. Hope that helps.