Powdery Mildew

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Yldrosie, May 24, 2006.

1. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a remedy for this? I've tried the baking soda and soap spray, Bayer 3 way systemic and every other thing I have found, and a lot of my roses are re-infected this spring. Any ideas out there?

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I've used whole milk mixed with water 1:10 on food plants, never tried it on roses. It worked great in the garden though. I read about it years ago in Organic Gardening when it was still a real gardening mag.

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Chamomile tea, used as a spray, is a specific for powdery mildew. So is garlic spray.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would like to prevent the powdery mildew. have your roses a sunny and airy location? less nitrogen as food can help also. try to plant garlic around your roses. garlic has an antibiotic and anti fungal property.

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

6. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

Roses are in good location, and on the old bush roses, I pruned heavily last year as to open them up. I will try the milk treatment and see what happens. Thanks, everyone. This is really a job as I have 65 rose buses in my yard and some are 6' tall and 8' across.