Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to try this. I've never ordered it on line, and never seen it in a store, until today.

So while grabbing a few things during lunch I saw it. I now have a jar of it to try.

I'll let you know. I wonder how it would be for cooking.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Please do give us your opinion, have been looking at getting some.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give a review after I get a chance to try it. Going out with Mom and Dad tonight, so won't be until later.

It's brand is: PB2

85% less fat calories

It's kosher if it makes any difference to anyone.

2tbsp powder with 1 tbsp is the ratio to mix it.

Says to visit bellplantation.com for recipes and more information.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I think it tastes great. I've never mixed it up. I just put a 1/2 tsp. on my tongue and let it melt. I was on a no-fat diet for three weeks several months ago and it was a lifesaver for me.

I'd be interested in how it does for cooking, Angie.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I work pt at a health food store. We sell a bunch of the pb2. We use the choc version at our house. It's great for camping and daily use. We keep a couple of jars(what do you call s jar made out of plastic) up in our cabin. No worry about it getting rancid, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
No Publix in my area. Winco has a good bulk foods and LTS dept, but I haven't seen pb powder there. Maybe the "evil" WM has it in their LTS dept? I'll have to look next time I visit my dd (she's a dept. manager at one of the local WM stores). There is a health food store in town, but they are usually pretty pricey. Or, I could just put in in my Amazon basket. :shrug: Would like to buy locally, if I can.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I've seen it at big lots around here, also my target has it. I didn't care for it, too gritty, so to use it up I added it to smoothies for the kids using milk and bananas. :)

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I bought some quite a while ago but haven't opened it. I was trying to use up the jars we already have. I prefer crunchy PB so I could make some of that up and add some freshly toasted home grown peanuts! Mmmmm. Hey! Where did the drooling smiley go?

Reactions: libertygirl

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I ned to see what brand I have, I think it is PB2. I opened one to see how it tasted. Tasted great straight on my tongue! But thought it was gritty in peanut noodles.

I'd love to here of any recipes or what people use it for day to day, then I could use it up! Or tricks to get it smoother. And have ideas for the future.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vosey, I wonder if combined with liquid coconut oil with the grains would make it smoother. I may have to try that too.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the chocolate pb2 and like it, especially in smoothies. I bought plain peanut flour and add a little salt and sugar for the peanut butter taste - much cheaper than pb2, and customizable.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I had a taste of some a friend had once, don't remember the brand. I thought it was really good, but just ate it off a spoon, not in a casserole or stir fry or anything.

He said it tasted best and had the best texture if you mix in a little bit of oil, a pinch of salt and then enough water to get it to the right consistency and then stir, stir, stir. I told him that sort of defeated the ease of use in cooking, lol! :)

I'll be looking forward to your review Angie, although I haven't found any here, even in the health food store. The Walmarts here don't seem to sell any of the long term storage stuff like some of you talk about. I'd have to order it from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Interesting idea. Would like to hear more about the Peanut flour. Does it have all the oils extracted like the powdered peanut butter?

Actually if you think about it..it is a great idea. This peanut powder is probably a by-product of making peanut oil that was just getting tossed afterwards. Kinda like the "whole vanilla beans" in the Dryers Ice Cream. Waste not want not.:D

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I have some of the PB powder (plain and chocolate), and also several pounds of peanut powder I bought online. It's great for cooking and it's not bad when you do like Callie said and add a touch of oil with the water and salt. I keep it sealed in jars, and figure if some day I can't get peanut butter I'll at least have this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts