Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
405 grain lead bullet with gas check. what make and model of powder do you recommend? Oh this is a modern 1895 marlin lever gun. Cowboy 26 inch barrel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I load 34 grains of AA5744 for the 405s and 37 grains for 300 JHPs. 5744 is a bulky powder that burns consistent and works really nice in the 45-70. I have also loaded with 3031 but have better accuracy with the 5744. I'm shooting a ruger #3 so there is no problem with action strength or pressure related probs. Check out the Accurate Arms site as they have lots of data listed.

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
405 grain lead bullet with gas check. what make and model of powder do you recommend? Oh this is a modern 1895 marlin lever gun. Cowboy 26 inch barrel.
I know very little of powders and loads, but I do have a rifle of the make you describe; have they much in the way of cash value? I haven't used mine in the last few years and wouldn't mind having something else in its stead.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know very little of powders and loads, but I do have a rifle of the make you describe; have they much in the way of cash value? I haven't used mine in the last few years and wouldn't mind having something else in its stead.
No paperwork either.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
If I remember, I'll tell my husband about this post. We got our marlin cowboy 45-70 a few years ago. (I say "we" because we argue about who actually owns this gun. It belongs in MY marlin octigon barrel cowboy collection, but he shoots it way more than I do). He is casting bullets and reloading for it with very good success.

He had the lee mold, but got the Ranch Dog Marlin specific mold.

Dh says IMR 3031 is popular but he personally likes IMR SR 4759. The first will give more velocity. H4895 is suppose to be good, but DH says he does not use that one with cast bullets. He says it takes more powder to get the same velocity as the others, and he does not like doing that. But that is just him.

He's gotten very good accuracy out of our 45-70. It sure is fun to shoot a big bore.

Cathy

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Have you tried any 500gr bullets? I've been wanting a 45-70 for a decade, and if I remember correctly, the last time I checked, the lever actions couldn't handle the 'extended' length bullets. Would be nice to know if someone has actual experience trying to cycle a 500gr bullet through the action. I cast my own bullets too, and I'm overly fond of the heavier rounds.

I'm leaning to a contender barrel. Next research is to see whether the muzzle blast (un burnt powder) is horrendous in 14 or 16" barrels. Otherwise, I'd go with a 21" barrel, if I could find one.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
someone say sharps? I like my shiloh sharps- I got two in 45/70 I want ta take them after deer or hog someday...

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
Nice. Do you handload with blackpowder?

actually yer gonna hate me for this but I think I have had two of these since like 1991 and never even shot them... I have shot my 45-70 contender a bit but only used smokless so far...

I do intend on using black in the sharps. I shoot a FAIR AMOUNT OF BLACK POWDER IN MY ml ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts