Pouring rice and other small/smooth items into 2-liter bottles.

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by stef, Jan 24, 2011.

1. stef

stef Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a round, large-tipped cake/cookie decorating tip. Snip a corner off a plastic food storage bag. Drop the tip into the hole and attach the coupling.

Fill the plastic bag with your rice or other small items. (Remember to place a finger or a small piece of tape over the decorating tip while filling the bag to prevent spillage.) Zip the top of the bag shut. Pierce the bag once or twice with a toothpick near the top of the bag to assist with product flow.

Insert decorator tip into two-liter bottle and fill. Place the bottle to be filled in your kitchen sink, on a dampened towel. This will help hold it in place. Hold the plastic bag at an angle and work the product forward with your fingers.

Can use for rice, sugar, salt, flour...use your imagination.

This is much easier than trying to make a funnel out of the bottle and cap.

The most important thing is to make sure everything is very dry so that the product does not clog the tip opening.

stef

2. Ode

Ode Well-Known Member

Just a small question, funnels are pretty cheap and you can get an entire set of them for 99 cents at any dollar store. Why would you have to make a funnel from one of the bottles you were trying to use for storage? But even if you don't have a funnel you can improvise one really easy with a rolled paper cone. The tip is going to be the size of the opening of the object you are filling and would be the absolute cheapest filler you could get.

3. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

Nice description. that type of bag/spout is very useful for filling sausages, as well :)

But I have to ask why not just use a funnel? A simple funnel can be made by taping a piece of paperbag, or construction paper into a cone shape.

eta: :rotfl: you must have posted as I was typing :)

4. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

BTW, if you have a large dehydrator... like Excaliber.. you can place those bottles inside there to dry.... It works really well.

5. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

I own a set of 3 plastic funnels that I bought for next to nothing. Plus my canning funnel. So I don't have to monkey around with a homemade version.

6. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Set the bottle into a large pot or bowl when filling so you aren't sweeping stuff up off the floor.

8. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually... What I have done is to remove two of the caps, glue them top to top, put heavy metallic tape around them, then drilled out the centers of the caps. Then I cut the base off one of the bottles, screwed on the bottle caps, inverted this and screwed the second cap to a storage 2 liter bottle.
    This way, nothing escapes the funnel.

By using a thin wooden rod to push and break up clumps, we use the 2 liter bottles to store flour in addition to rice, lentils, black beans, etc..

Lentils and black beans will use up the oxygen in the bottles if you screw the caps on tight. That kills buggies that might be in them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  9. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

Good idea to re-use the 2 liter bottles, no matter how you choose to fill them. A manageable size and weight and you can see what is in them. I had just filled them up with water and put them in any extra space in the deep freeze.

10. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

Now all I have to do is figure what size bottle holds a pound of beans, rice etc best and fill that size then I don't have to measure when I want to make a pot.....
    That would also make inventory more exact.

11. Sarabeth

Sarabeth Learning to love today...

Another thing I read once was to tightly stretch electrical tape around the bottle lid once you have tightly screwed it on. This makes a more airtight seal. Haven't tried it yet, but I thought it was a good tip.

12. chickenslayer

chickenslayer Well-Known Member

Or you could just cut the top of the bottle off, fill it up and then use duct tape to put the bottle back together:happy0035:

13. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! Guess who has tried that??? :D :D :D

I don't come up with unusual ideas without being totally silly and stupid from time to time. Oh yeah, and when you cut apart one of these bottles on a bandsaw - do NOT try to cut right through. You have to rotate the bottle and keep just the part you are cutting near the blade... ask me how I know... :D

14. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't play with the bottles much. I half fill them with water and put into the freezer. Others I fill with water and keep them in the bathroom handy to the commode to use for flushing, or to heat and use for washing dishes and/or small clothing items if the electric is out. I can't carry a bucket of water, but I can carry a 2 liter of water.

15. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I don't buy pop so don't have many 2 liter bottles, only what I can beg from extended family. I use them for water. I keep beans, rice, etc. in gallon jugs that I get pretzels in. It works great. Toss in a 02 absorber, then dip the lids in melted wax to seal.

I opened an old box of mac & cheese this week. It had been dipped in wax and sealed. It expired in 2001, but was still good. The one that was not dipped in wax was bad. The cheese powder had turned brown.