Poulty wormer for goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Dec 23, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I went to the feedstore today to get some dust powder to put on my goats as the new ones I bought seem to be itchy and have some small spots about 3inches above the base of their tail that on one doe the hair was gone but is growing back and on another doe is an open sore and one lady said that it was most likely lice as they all are scratching themselves in that area.
    Anyway I went to the feedstore and they had something that said to soak the entire body and that didn't seeem like a good idea since it is winter and can get chilly. So I bought some ectibin D (spelling?) that is for pigs, dairy cattle (lactating and non) and poultry as it had the same ingredients as the other but in different amounts. The vet was on my way home so I stopped in and he said that he would use that on the bedding but to just use ivomec pour on for them. I do have some pour on but would the dust be better ??
    Those spots by the way had some really dry skin around them. Kinda flaky like.
    Ok smart people....... help me out! :D

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Personally I would use the stuff the vet said on the bedding and I would use Injectable ivermectin on the goats. It will deworm them and get rid of lice at the same time...kill 2 birds with one stone. I use 1cc per 25# of the 1% ivermectin injectable.
    Anything that is made for cow skin will not be asorbed the same way by goats...totally different type of skin. That is why when you use Cydectin...which is a cattle pour on you give it to goats orally...I would not do that with the pour on ivermectin.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Is Ivermectin paste given orally effective against lice in goats? I don't have any, thank the good Lord, but I'd like to know just in case...

4. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

There is no reason that it shouldn't be as effective. THey are both ivermectin the horse paste is 1.87% though so the dose is different.(for those of you following this)