Poulan Pro 360 Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ed K, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I recieved this chainsaw as a gift from MIL and FIL. So far a screw on the anti kickback guard backed out. Local repair shop said I needed the whole assembly for $18.00 of so. I bought it and installed it. Now the chain brake (Part of the same cover) has gone bad.

I use the chainsaw Maybe 7-10 times a year for several hours to cut up downed wood which I burn in outdoor fires. I have a fireplace which I may use in the future but not too much since it won't heat the whole house.

The chainsaw is pretty new (too new to pitch) but I'm starting to worry that it's going to nickle and dime me with keeping the safety items in good repair.

Given my usage, which is harder than typical residential use, should I replace it with a bigname farm type model? If anyone has experience with this model should I anticipate continuing to repair it every few times I use it?

Thanks

2. dodgetkboy78

dodgetkboy78 Active Member

Uh......

It's a poulan, they seem to do that to most people..........I have talked to , at least.
    Jonsered/husky's are good saws, IMO.
    A good pawn shop saw is a Xl-12 Homelite, they live for a million years.
    In my opinion, I would get a different saw, I never had much use for a unreliable chainsaw to start with, mine runs 6-8 hours a day when I am cutting, And I would be really miffed if I had to constantly work on it.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I assume the saw is functional without the chain brake. Now this is something that only you can answer, but consider contining using the saw. My old Jonserud (late 1970s) model did not come with a chain brake...nor did any saw prior to that time period. I used the "brakeless" saw for over 20 years and many, many cords of firewood without a problem (until some low life stole it).

I replaced the my stolen Jonsered with a new Jonsered that has a chain brake. First time I used the saw I thought I broke it on accounta the chain wouldn't move and I could not get the clutch cover off! I had no idea that the dern brake was engaged!