Potty training

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Knottybird, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Knottybird

Knottybird Member

I have just purchased our first nigerian doe, she is 4 weeks old, is rust colored with black down her spine, feet, ears, and little bit on her face. She is a cutey, and oh so sweet. We were to pick up another baby, that was 2 days old, but she passed away, my daughter was so sad. But we are expecting to get another one around 1/17, we can't wait. We are bottle feeding her also.

Right now, we have her in a kennel in the basement, where she will live until this spring, when it warms up outside, it does get to -30 in January for a few days.

My question is--can we potty train her to go in a kitty box or something like that and if so, how would I go about doing this?

Her name is Milky Way.

Thank you for your help. :D

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Here is just my opinion, but goats are livestock & should be kept outdoors. Life in a kennel until spring isn't very good in my opinion. Even if left out to run around occasionally. As far as potty training, I have heard some people have had luck getting them to go outdoors on cue like a dog, but generally a goat will go where ever & whenever it wants. You could always put a diaper on it. I have known others to do that. If you put her outside in a draft free, but ventilated place & hung a heat lamp she would probably be fine. Just make sure the lamp is up where she can't chew on it. Some people have them in a pen & then have a small well insulated box that they can go into for warmth with the heat lamp shining into the box. The digestion of food & their winter coats is usually enough to keep them warm.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

No matter how cold it is....they need to have sunshine as much as possible for optimum health, just like people. Take her out to play everyday. She also needs a herdmate....a friendly dog will work...but another goat would be best. A well insulated doghouse would also suit her well with a few pallets for a fence. You could also buy a doggie sweater to wear if its real cold. Enjoy!

Potty training....easier to train your children to clean the stall!

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Wendy, a kennel in the basement is no place for a goat.. especially untill spring, you would never think to keep a calf in the basement, would you? She needs to be outside and have a draft free place to get out of the weather.. I'd also try to purchase a young wether to keep her company.. forget the dog, I don't care how friendly it is, unless it's a proven LGD, it's just an invitation for trouble.
    I know a lot of people start their kids off in the house, but it's usually for only a week.
    and potty training?? I'd love to hear any success stories!!

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I had a ewe that had a female and male babies. She loved the male but would not have anything to do with the female so we brought the lamb indoors because it was a really cold winter and I was afraid she would get too cold. I bottle fed her and she thought I was Mama. She was SUPPOSE to lay on the rug beside our bed at night, but after we turned out the lamp she would wait a minute and then raise up on my side of the bed and paw at my arm. I would scoop her up and put her in the bed between DH and I and she would sleep with her head on HER pillow all night. I was at home and could take her outside quite often to pee and poop. I did put a dog sweater on her when she would go outside. She stayed in the house with us for a couple months. I would not recommend a kennel though. Like I said I was at home and she was like my baby. She ran through the house and played with the chihuahua puppy I had. She loved to jump up on the sofa and dive off the end. :haha: We also had a baby deer in the house for a few months. I would wipe her bottom after she had her bottle and she would go pee pee in the paper towel and then I would wipe her other end and she would poo poo in the paper towel. She got WAY too wild jumping on the furniture. Just when she was losing her spots she had to go outside.

A little different story, but cute...my Grandmother..."Big Mama" had a smokey blue female cat that would potty in the comode. She would jump up there and straddle over the seat and do her job. Big Mama always joked about what a good cat she would be if she would just learn to flush!! :haha:

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Holy smokes! Sleeping on the bed with you! How sweet. :) Little lambs are sooo cuddly.

Growing up we had a bummer lamb (Wooly Boots) we raised in the garage until she was weaned and could go back to the shepherd. She figured out she could get through the dog door, so of course she came in and we played with her until Mom came into the room and shooed her outside.

I have very briefly had the goats living my garage when the barn door was broken. The garage still hasn't recovered from that, actually. Every once in a great while one of the critters makes it inside the house but gets chased back outside very quickly. I can't imagine having one living inside the house for a couple of months. The dogs do enough damage by themselves.

I haven't figured out how to potty train my goats. I'm not entirely sure it can be done. If I had to have the critter living in the basement for awhile, I would make sure she got outside to play for a couple of hours a day. I spend a good hour a day outside with my sheep and goats every day, I think it does everybody good. My critters have a fenced in pen attatched to their barn, but when it's raining they tend to stay in the barn and get into trouble (that energy has to go somewhere). I make sure they get out and do some running and playing, and of course everybody gets treats and scritches in their favorite places.

7. Knottybird

Knottybird Member

Milky Way is outside 6 hours a day and lives in the dog kennel run and house that is well insulated.

We did have another little doe from another litter that we were to bring home with us, but she had not survived the day. Her next litter of show quality goats will not be born until Jan 17, that is why we have her in the house.

My daughter is going to be showing them for 4-H. We are aware that she should have a playmate, but there were no others left, and this was the best one for show out of those 2 litters, plus the grandma is grand state champion, and mama is doing quite well for showing herself.

Marge has heard that potty training can be done, but she is not sure how to do it either.

We have her in the house for the company, and she does run upstairs when we can watch her, about 5 hours a day.

It is good to know that she will be okay outside this winter, did not think that she would be okay, being so young in that cold weather.

8. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Hi Knottybird,
    Sounds like you have a good setup- lots of sunshine and a warm place to sleep at night. I've read that Nubians are a lot more sensitive to cold than Swiss breeds.
    Can you join us at the yahoo group MDGA? Minnesota Dairy Goat Association. MDGA has a conference every year at the U of MN down in the Cities, this year in Jan. It is SUPER helpful and has a bunch of classes about medical care, milk, judging etc that is good info to both the commerical diary and the little newbie herds like us! Plus you get to meet other goat people.

9. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I would guess litter train a goat like you would a rabbit. They're both vegetarians, they have similar crap, they're used to going whenever and wherever. www.rabbit.org