Homesteading Forum banner

Potting Mix

858 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  QueenB04 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Sta-Green container potting mix from Lowe’s. I have been looking for potting mix to do my heirloom tomatoes I plan to sell. At $10.47 for 3 cubic feet it’s a great deal compared to Metro-mix and other commercial potting mixes. Especially since I will not have to pay shipping and can buy just what I need since Lowe’s is less than a mile away.

But, since I am a skeptic, I can’t help but wonder how Lowe’s retails at these prices.

Thanks
Duke

#3 ·
Duke,
I have used it for starting my heirloom tomato's. I was very happy with it. Where 'bouts in the Hoosier state are you located? Are you raising to sell?
Barry
Indianapolis

duke3522 said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Sta-Green container potting mix from Lowe’s. I have been looking for potting mix to do my heirloom tomatoes I plan to sell. At $10.47 for 3 cubic feet it’s a great deal compared to Metro-mix and other commercial potting mixes. Especially since I will not have to pay shipping and can buy just what I need since Lowe’s is less than a mile away.

But, since I am a skeptic, I can’t help but wonder how Lowe’s retails at these prices.

Thanks
Duke

#4 ·
Hi Everyone,

Right now I am Starting seeds in some Metro-mix I had. But first I ran it through my small screen sieve to get out all the big chunks of bark and perlite and that seems to work pretty well. I hadn’t thought about whether or not to start seeds in it.

Berry I sure would like to sell them. I have terrible back problems and can’t hold a regular job because I never know when my back will go out. I am in Marion and would appreciate any advice you have on growing and marketing. I just started some Oregon Spring in soil cubes on Saturday, This is my first year for using a soil cuber. We will see how it works.

Thanks
Duke

#5 ·
Duke,
Sorry to hear you're down...hope you get feeling better soon. I started selling tomato plants at the office...just by accident. When people heard I was starting Brandywines they started asking to buy some. Then...when I would be carrying my cardboard box with my plants to the office...strangers would stop and ask me about them. That turned into more sales and I sold all my extra's that year. So...word of mouth has been good for me. Also...putting up flyers in places like grocery store bulletin boards and laundry-mat bulletin boards brings in some sales.
If you take your time and work carefully, growing some tomato plants to sell should not be too much trouble with your back.
This year I am growing tomato's and other vegetable plants as a special order(several hundred plants) for a fellow I met who was really unhappy with the plants he got from a garden center in previous years. I also brokered his seeds for direct seeding as he was unhappy with the quality of the seeds he had been getting and didn't want to fiddle with ordering catologs and looking through them all. With this commitment I won't be doing as many heirloom tomato plants. This is really nice, though, selling plants "on contract"....takes the worry out from selling.
Your area has enough population that I would expect you should be able to sell some tomato plants pretty easily...just start getting the word out. Heirloom tomato's seem to be a pretty easy sell.
Barry
Indianapolis

duke3522 said:
Hi Everyone,

Right now I am Starting seeds in some Metro-mix I had. But first I ran it through my small screen sieve to get out all the big chunks of bark and perlite and that seems to work pretty well. I hadn’t thought about whether or not to start seeds in it.

Berry I sure would like to sell them. I have terrible back problems and can’t hold a regular job because I never know when my back will go out. I am in Marion and would appreciate any advice you have on growing and marketing. I just started some Oregon Spring in soil cubes on Saturday, This is my first year for using a soil cuber. We will see how it works.

Thanks
Duke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.