Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently attended a conference and watched a soap making demonstration. It really made me want to try it! I have the lard, and will soon have the coconut oil. I need to call one of my mom's friends and get the lye.
Now comes for my question. The gal that was giving the demonstration had a separate stock pot that she only used for soap. She also had measuring utensils specifically for soap making. Do I really need to get a different stock pot than the one I normally use? Also, its just soap, so it will wash off all the utensils, correct?

Second question, the gal that was giving the presentation had a fancy digital scale that she used to weigh the ingredients when she was putting them in. Is this the best way to do it? Is there any way to properly weigh the ingredients without having to buy a fancy scale?

Also, I hear that a stick blender is really helpful in speeding up the process. Is it not horrible to stir the batch by hand, or should I just go ahead and buy the blender?

Thank you all for answering my questions! I am really looking forward to making my first batch of soap!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Definitely get a digital scale. I believe Walmart has digital Postal Scales aroun $30-$35.

A stick blender will run you abou $10-$15. Not needed, but you could be hand stirring for a few hours instead of a few minutes to bring to trace.

I use the same pots/utensils I cook in to make soap. There is nothing in soap or soaping ingredients that can't be washed off.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
You may want to check office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max) for digital scales, as they often put them on sale and the last time I checked their scales were cheaper than our local walmart. You'll need one with at least a tare feature. Also, I prefer to measure all my oils in my pot, as when you pour out of containers you can't get all the oils out. So if you want to make larger than about 4 lb batches, you may want to get a scale that is capable of more than the typical 5lb small postal scales.

A stick blender is not required, but will save you a lot of time, anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. How much is your time worth?

I don't usually use my soap pot for cooking because I prefer to cook my soups in my larger cast iron pot. Make sure your pot does not contain aluminum - I think most of us use stainless steel.

I do use my glass measuring cups for both soaping and cooking, just be sure to wash them well. I have a special container that I measure the lye in and do not use that for cooking, but it is just an old small glass jar that has straight sides.

For your utensils, if you are using stainless steel then you can rewash them. If you use wood, do not use these for cooking. I would not recommend using plastic utensils for soap.

When I first started out, I used a scientific scale because I have a good one on hand. But that gets tedious, so I switched to a postal type scale. If you happen to have a good scientific scale on hand, you can use that. I don't think kitchen scales would be accurate enough.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I posted this on different thread by mistake - OOPS!

Anyhow, just wanted to say you can get most of what you need rather cheaply, including the stick blender ($2-3), from the thrift store. And I paid about $25 for a digital scale at Staples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts