pots from newspaper??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by elvira, Dec 4, 2004.

1. elvira

elvira Member

Hi Bonnie,
    Haven't made any myself, but understand you can cut lengths of newspaper, then wrap around anything, rollinpin, soup can, etc, glue and fold in one end. Walaa!! paper pots.
    Have fun, spring is just around the corner!
    Elvira

2. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

3. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Thanks Terre d'Esprit, that's what I was looking for.

4. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Hi Bonnie,

I use just about anything that's handy, including trays I've bought, cell-packs and toilet paper and paper towel tubes. The toilet paper tube makes three and the paper towel tube makes about 6.

Just flatten them, cut them and then round them back out, sit in a tray and fill them with potting medium and plant your seed.

Have fun.

The Rebel II

5. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Pint jars. Take your newspaper, cut it to the height you want the pots, wrap it around the jars and put a smidgen of masking tape on. I've been doing that for about 10 years now for almost anything we start in the house. I leave the bottoms open, fill with soil, water and plant. The only exceptions are melons, squash and pumpkins, they get bigger pots.

Good luck!

LisaBug

6. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Thanks Rebel, I like the toilet tube idea. I have quite a few on hand because I save them to start fires in the chiminea. Thanks also to Elvira and LisaBug, I'll be trying all of these ideas.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

If you need something a little more sturdy try using cardboard egg cartons. trim each egg cup, fill with your potting soil and place them in a plastic icecube tray. When the time comes to transplant them you can use your snips to cut off the bottom to expose the roots to soil and water. You'll find that the roots are nicely compacted and there is less transplant schock or loss of the finer rootlets. This method is also handy for rooting cuttings that have been treated with hormones.