Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news there is a patient in isolation being monitored and tested for Ebola at Duke in Durham NC. Recently traveled from Liberia, no symptoms except for a fever. Test results will be in tomorrow they said on the news. Came from an airport in New Jersey. They just had a press conference that interrupted the programming on tv.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is also a woman in Portland Oregon that came from Liberia and developed fever, she is hospitalized and they have sent test to CDC. Awaiting results.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Portland tested negative.
And there are oodles of others, but they only make the local news.
Hard to keep track and not really important unless there is a positive.
Then we'll all know and the crazy will start all over again..again.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Noone's ever caught it here though. They all come from Africa or are healthcare workers. So far this disease has not spread here in the US.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
False info. Two nurses did so get Ebola on us soil.
"Noone's ever caught it here though. They all come from Africa or are healthcare workers. So far this disease has not spread here in the US."

The poster mentions the healthcare workers.
The meaning of this is that it is not out in the general population.
And the disease has not spread in the US.
It is completely contained within the medical field and only transferred in the hospital setting, not out in the streets.

·
Banned
132 Posts
False info. Two nurses did so get Ebola on us soil.
I mentioned health care workers. So far the only false info has been from those claiming it was going to cause an epidemic here in the US. That might change, but until there is at least one case of a person ( not a healthcare worker exposed to bodily fluids of an ebola victim ) catching it here, I'm not worried.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
The two nurses who never went to an Ebola hot spot ....the provided care for Duncan....the one who died. Those nurses did so become the first case that DID start on us soil. Is history to change so quickly?

·
Registered
761 Posts
This patient needs to be tested again in 3 days, to be considered totally clear. The tests - early on in symptomatic patients - often come back negative, even when there's enough virus to raise a fever -- it's not enough to be considered positive on the test. A false negative, in other words.

Ebola outbreaks start out very, very slowly. W. Africa's started in December '13; MSF didn't arrive and wasn't alerted to a problem until March '14.

But I don't think we'll see the attention to these cases, nationally, that we saw with the NYC doc or Duncan, in the future. Doesn't mean there won't be problems; they'll be considered local issues now. Until there is a true, local outbreak.

Ya can't let your guard down on this. It'll sneak up on ya.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Note your claim was that one on us soil.

Other than medical workers.
No one outside of the medical field has gotten ill.

We don't have an epidemic.
Not until everyday, non-medical people start getting sick in their homes, in the streets etc.. do we have any concerns at all.

·
Banned
132 Posts
My pharmacist said today "Just wait until flu season is in full swing. THEN things will get interesting!" I don't doubt it.
Sure, all the media hype has people in a panic. When flu season hits everyone's going to think they have Ebola!

Reactions: Tiempo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts