Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
What type of housing/fencing do you need to maintain a couple of the potbellies? Also, what types of feed should be used. I have an acre of woods that I could fence off and let them in to clean up for me.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
the pens we used were wood about 16'x16' per pig 3' high they got big in the 5 yrs they were at my brothers house. he kept them for pets but they were in the yard and had a good sound barn for inclemete weather,

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
pointer_hunter said:
What type of housing/fencing do you need to maintain a couple of the potbellies? Also, what types of feed should be used. I have an acre of woods that I could fence off and let them in to clean up for me.
I've seen mixed wild swine in acre pastures fenced in 6 strand barbed wire. I don't use the barbed wire, myself as I've heard nasty stories about injuries, but these pigs do very well. In a few months all but the trees were cleaned up. As for feed, I used to feed swine grower/finsiher until it went up by $3.00 per sack in six months time. I switched to All Stock with Calf Manna supplement and I feed them grass. My family saves me vegetable skins and bread and I feed that also to save on the store bought feed. The two that farrowed last week produced healthy piglets and are producing enough milk so I think their diet is good.

G

·
If they have acorns, they will love it. Only the bigger potbellies (over 80 pounds) seem to have the strenght to crush hickory and walnuts. I also had to teach mine that there is food in there by using a hammer and crushing some of the harder nuts and putting it on the ground near the whole ones. IF you want to get rid of brush and parkify the woods, put in also some sort of browser sheep (primitive or hair sheep) or goats or miniature zebu cattle (the only consistent browser of the cattle line)

Pig housing needs to be cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and definitely dry. IF the ground is damp, I'd put a few pallates on the ground, then a sheet of oriented strand board. Make sides of pallates on 3 sides, then cover in sheet metal. Make a series of rafters with 2x4's and use translucent fiberglass panel for roof. Fill it with straw, the pigs will burrow in as much as they want. Face the opening toward the sun, but away from the prevailing wind. You might need some metal fence posts around the otsides of the pallates to keep the pigs from pushing out the sides. In the winter, the sheep will probably go in there too which will also warm the pigs. They also will need access to water. And if you are going to pasture them, you will want to give them a daily treat of some sort, like a half cup of corn per potbelly to train them to a particular spot, so when you want to shoot them, you can get them at point blank range while they are munching the corn.

In this situation you might also want to get a guard dog, like a pyranese, to guard against coyotes

GeorgeK

pointer_hunter said:

G

·
As Stan Marsh would say, "What an R'Tard" Sounds like another hippocrit who pays someone else to do their killing, and then pretends that meat doesn't come from animals. Probably someone into bestiality as well.

Unregistered said:
I can not believe that people would be so hard up for food that they would kill such wonderful family pets! It makes me sick to think of all the loving potbellies that have been butchered! There are so many other means for meat! Potbellies are bred for companionship and love! You who slaughter these wonderful creatures have serious issues! How could you! I HOPE YOU ALL CHOKE TO DEATH!!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have 2 potbelly/hamshire cross pigs, they run loose, will follow me anywhere, and will even climb a pallet ramp into a pickup bed for a slice of bread. They are about 18 weeks old now and just about right for a roast'em whole dinner.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My favorite is a roast hindleg with garlic, a side of red potatoes, and asparagus. Or some days I want barbecued ribs. Somedays tacos... Maybe porkburgers? meatloaf, spaghettie and porkballs... Heck it's all good eats

james dilley said:
hey that sounds like a winner of an idea. how are you going to cook them??

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Pork Stroganoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeorgeK said:
My favorite is a roast hindleg with garlic, a side of red potatoes, and asparagus. Or some days I want barbecued ribs. Somedays tacos... Maybe porkburgers? meatloaf, spaghettie and porkballs... Heck it's all good eats

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Cattle panels clipped to T posts works well for the fence portion, at least for the adults. The little ones can get through. Combo panels are tighter but more expensive.

pointer_hunter said:

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The sausage I made last weekend was from a potbelly mix. Delicious :) Can't go wrong with any part and I hear that they are gourmet for bacon. We don't eat much bacon here- I'm a sausage fan myself.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I make sausage too, I dont think the "bacon" would be worthwhile as bacon. Maybe as jerky? any experience with jerky?

Tango said:
The sausage I made last weekend was from a potbelly mix. Delicious :) Can't go wrong with any part and I hear that they are gourmet for bacon. We don't eat much bacon here- I'm a sausage fan myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tango said:
I looked for Kune Kune last year. I think it is too late to get in on them inexpensively here. They are an exotic pet in south Florida and expensive to purchase. I could adopt some from shelters but I don't like to lie and say they'll be pets. As for looks they are more beautiful than the potbelly, imo.
I've been looking around, can't even find a north american breeder of the Kune Kune pigs. Anyone know of a good contact for these pigs? thanks.

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
shelbynteg said:
I've been looking around, can't even find a north american breeder of the Kune Kune pigs. Anyone know of a good contact for these pigs? thanks.

There's a zoo somewhere in Florida that has them. The only ones I've ever seen or heard of. They make out that they are some rare, endangered species and not a domesticated form.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GeorgeK said:
I've been raising Potbellies for meat for years, does anyone else out there do that? They are extremely efficient on a small scale. If you are interested in a livestock conservancy for potbellies check out 2 sites www.windrigefarm.us and www.greenerpasturesfarm.com
George
So George,

Who are these reputable breeders and are they charging petpiggy prices? I've been checking these sites out and the prices are through the roof because of course each piglet has to go to the vet and be spayed or neutered at 4 wks and their papers are charged for as well and then of course petpiggy people can't do their own shots so they have to pay for that as well.

It's no wonder these people wouldn't consider eating one. They cost too much to eat! $150-$250 for a baby pig that has been sterilized.

Then you got the tree hugger types that won't let you eat one without cursing you out for being inhumane.

The Piggy Sanctuaries are full of pigs that would have gone to good homes IF the breeders would have been willing to sell to a homesteader that ate the culls and the extra stock.

So, how much are you charging? And can you arrange shipping?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Never thought of raising potbellied pigs for meat- but I suppose it makes sense. If I were going to raise meat-pigs, they'd be what I'd go with (but I'm too soft-hearted to kill anything :$ ).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Most of us who sell livestock quality (better than pet quality, because we cull) are quiet and don't advertise (mainly because of the peta psychos). As far as I know the only ones who do advertise are myself (in kentucky) and on the west coast Ronda Jemtegard. See the links at the top. I don't charge near as much, simply because I am a hobby farmer, this isn't my day job. I got a decent price from someone going out of business, so I don't have to re-coup a big investment. I have more than enough pigs to feed my family, and I am trying to get the point out that these little pigs make a wonderful, easy to maintain homestead livestock. Obviously you will want intact pigs, so they can breed, so there is no fee for sterilization. There are also no papers, since there is no (yet) Potbelly Livestock Conservancy, but Ronda and I are trying to drum up interest in that.

breezynosacek said:
So George,

Who are these reputable breeders and are they charging petpiggy prices? I've been checking these sites out and the prices are through the roof because of course each piglet has to go to the vet and be spayed or neutered at 4 wks and their papers are charged for as well and then of course petpiggy people can't do their own shots so they have to pay for that as well.

It's no wonder these people wouldn't consider eating one. They cost too much to eat! $150-$250 for a baby pig that has been sterilized.

Then you got the tree hugger types that won't let you eat one without cursing you out for being inhumane.

The Piggy Sanctuaries are full of pigs that would have gone to good homes IF the breeders would have been willing to sell to a homesteader that ate the culls and the extra stock.

So, how much are you charging? And can you arrange shipping?

·
Registered
223 Posts
GeorgeK said:
Most of us who sell livestock quality (better than pet quality, because we cull) are quiet and don't advertise (mainly because of the peta psychos). As far as I know the only ones who do advertise are myself (in kentucky) and on the west coast Ronda Jemtegard. See the links at the top. I don't charge near as much, simply because I am a hobby farmer, this isn't my day job. I got a decent price from someone going out of business, so I don't have to re-coup a big investment. I have more than enough pigs to feed my family, and I am trying to get the point out that these little pigs make a wonderful, easy to maintain homestead livestock. Obviously you will want intact pigs, so they can breed, so there is no fee for sterilization. There are also no papers, since there is no (yet) Potbelly Livestock Conservancy, but Ronda and I are trying to drum up interest in that.
We would be interested...after talking to hubby about it he said that if I felt that strongly about it he would support me.

My question is this, do potbelly pigs qualify for conservancy? There have to be so many breeders available and I don't think petpiggy breeders would count.

http://www.albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm

If I became one that would make three locations, have you got anymore?

Oh, and after I told hubby that most of the pet piggy breeders had their tusks removed, his eyes lit up. He said he knows of a potbelly pig farmer around here. Or at least he thinks that's what they are. I'm wondering if they are standard wild boar. Anywho, I will check with this farmer and see what he has and see if it is purebred or crossed. He could have been given somebody's pet pig or something since we live in farming area its hard telling.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
GeorgeK said:
I make sausage too, I dont think the "bacon" would be worthwhile as bacon. Maybe as jerky? any experience with jerky?
I'm a huge fan of pork jerky :) I'd hate to start that riff again here since some people were adament that pork shouldn't be used for jerky. But the lean cuts of pork are excellent for jerky. Reminds me that I had to throw out all that pork in the freezers :( Next time we'll make jerky again. I've made about 15 pounds and have given a third away as gifts. It doesn't taste at all like pork. Actually the taste is very similar to homemade beef jerky but has just a different twang to it. Hard to explain. Take those lean cuts and try it yourself. I'll dig up my recipe if you're interested.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
yes, Tango, if it isn't too much trouble I'd like a recipe. You are correct according to everything I've read. The only problem with pork is the fattiness, but most people have never seen a healthy, lean pig, which is the norm here

Tango said:
I'm a huge fan of pork jerky :) I'd hate to start that riff again here since some people were adament that pork shouldn't be used for jerky. But the lean cuts of pork are excellent for jerky. Reminds me that I had to throw out all that pork in the freezers :( Next time we'll make jerky again. I've made about 15 pounds and have given a third away as gifts. It doesn't taste at all like pork. Actually the taste is very similar to homemade beef jerky but has just a different twang to it. Hard to explain. Take those lean cuts and try it yourself. I'll dig up my recipe if you're interested.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts